Need Help With Two Tier Cake For First Birthday

Decorating By LUNDI Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 2:52am by LUNDI

LUNDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LUNDI Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #1 of 10

I AM MAKING A TWO TIER ROUND CAKE FOR MY DAUGHTERS 1ST BIRTHDAY NOV. 16TH. HOW DO I MAKE THE CAKE VERY EVEN? I WANT IT TO LOOK NICE. DO I USE A KNIFE TO TRIM THE CAKE OR WHAT?

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 10

Hi and Welcome to CC, LUNDI. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above link has all the info you need to make a nice cake for your daughter's birthday. thumbs_up.gif

HTH

P.S. Using all caps is generally considered "shouting" on message boards. And I find it really hard to read. icon_cry.gif

LUNDI Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #3 of 10

Im sorry for the all caps. I write that way and tend to want to type that way too! Sorry again and thanks for the help....

JanH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:46am
post #4 of 10

You're very welcome. icon_smile.gif

Look forward to seeing pics of your daughter's birthday cake. birthday.gif

LUNDI Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:01am
post #5 of 10

Thanks but i couldnt find any info on making sure the layers were straight. do you think i need a cake leveler or what do you use? what do you use to make sure the sides of the cake are even? I could probably ask you a million questions, im sorry...........

JanH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:22am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Wilton's cake making help links:
(Includes cake preparation charts which give batter requirements by pan size, as well as servings charts.)

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

This Wilton link has: how to level, how to torte, how to fill
and so much more too much to list separately, in fact.

HTH

LUNDI Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 10

i must have missed it. im sorry! im just nervous about the cake i guess

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 10

Reading some expert instructions is the best way to get a great answer, but in short, yes, you'll need to level the cake using a knife or a cake leveler. Depending on how your baked cake turns out, you'll probably have to cut off the part of the cake on top that is raised. I usually place the cut side down against the cake board. If you are layering the cake, you'll then do the same thing to the next layer, but place frosting between the layers. You could use a level to make sure it sits straight, but unless you're making a very large cake (like for a wedding) a slight imperfection can probably be disguised with heavier frosting in the low spots. Also, you'll want to stabalize your layered cake with dowels or straws. As was suggested, read a tutorial so you can be confident that you're doing it "right."

Good luck! I'm sure it will be great!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:06am
post #9 of 10

You also may need to get some pans. Regular cake pan have a slight slant on the sides, if they can sit inside each other then they have a slight slant to the sides. Prof. pans do not nestle inside each other. This will be noticeable when you stack. Wilton pans are good. You can get them at Walmart, or if you go to micheal when the have the 40% off coupon they're very reasonble. And bake even strips will help to keep the top level. Welcome to cc and good luck on the cake.

LUNDI Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:52am
post #10 of 10

thank you all for the help. i am using wilton pans i just wasnt sure if there was some trick to making the layers super straight?! i just want a pretty cake for such a special occasion

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%