Trying To Replicate Super Cute Photo's

Baking By cylstrial Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 16

I saw these adorable cupcakes at a store in NYC. I'm not really sure how to make the ladybug part...as in what is it made out of? Mini cakes, just icing, etc?

Secondly, the yellow base is so smooth it almost looks like it was dipped in yellow chocolate.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!
Celeste
LL

15 replies
cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 16

Could the ladybug be the top of a smaller cupcake?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 16

That's what I thought too - maybe the cap part of a smaller cupcake?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 16

The ladybug looks like a vanilla wafer dipped in chocolate.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #5 of 16

I would think the top part of the cupcake is dipped in chocolate and the ladybug is the top of a smaller cupcake like the others had said. It is very cute.

Where in NY did you see these? They are very cute.

vanillafairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillafairy Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 16

i think you can also use puffy cookies for the ladybugs

cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #7 of 16

Thanks everybody! It was in a really trendy food place. I don't remember the name of it. I just remember that they were super cute!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks everybody! It was in a really trendy food place. I don't remember the name of it. I just remember that they were super cute!

The tag on the cupcakes says whole foods...hardly a trendy food place. It's a grocery store. I was thinking it looked like a mini black and white cookie, just iced pside down.

cylstrial Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 16

Good thinking txkat! Now we have the answer about the store name. Thanks for your input abut the mini cookie, etc. I'll have to see if I can locate those. As for me.. I live in Bloomington, Indiana.. so to be a food store.. it was exceptionally nice. What I meant by trendy is that, places like that seem to be on the trend. They are putting one in our Kroger for Pete's sake. Thanks again!

cylstrial Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 16

Let me clarify that -- Kroger is putting in a version of whole foods.. NOT a whole foods store. They are just putting in a nice cafe area and some food similar to what I saw in the store. But definitely not as nice as the other.

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 16

Our little hometown grocery has completely revamped their entire store and it definitely has that trendy, urban feel to it so I know what you mean, It's not a grocery store anymore either....now it's a "Fresh Market"!!! icon_wink.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 16

I have a book that had some cupcakes similar looking with the smooth finish and they used poured fondant , there is a recipe online if you google it or you could use a rolled buttercream also found online. Good luck!!!!!

I wanted to add that the lady bug looks to be one of those fluffy chocolate marshmallow cookies, they are chunky in shape and pretty high.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 16

I would have purchased one just so I could "dissect it" to find out how they did it! icon_biggrin.gif

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:24pm
post #14 of 16

You could always ask.... I have before and the store told me how they made them.

I would think that the lady bug could also have been made using a muffin top pan(mini) (I have used one before) and it might be poured fondant. I have seen this done on www.cakejournal.com before. It looks like it might be the same.

Just my thoughts, I think that any of the above ideas might work. I live up in Ontario Canada and do go into Whole foods. Next time I am in I will ask and post.

Thanks

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #15 of 16

oH, jUST MMMMMMM.

cylstrial Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for all your comments! I should have purchased the cupcake... I didn't because I'm on a diet and trying to lose weight.. (had a baby a while ago.. ). But I should have done it anyway. And of course, I don't live anywhere near one.. so I can't just go in and ask anymore.

You all have been so helpful!! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%