The Cake Is Crumbly.....what To Do?

Decorating By kimmypooh79 Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 1:51am by babybundt

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 7

I make carrot cake that stays together until it's sliced. When I cut the cake it crumbles and I'd like to have a whole piece and not just a pile on my plate. icon_sad.gif Any suggestions? This is the recipe that I use.....a tweaked version of the one I found here. TIA!

1 pkg yellow cake mix (18.25 oz)
1 pkg vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz)
1/ 2 cup SR Flour
¾ cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice)
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sour cream
5 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins
½ cup walnuts

6 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe try adding some butter, as I think it makes some cakes stick together better. princess.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 7

I think I'd ditch the orange juice and use some orange zest instead. Rub the zest into some of the sugar to release all the oils. I'd start there.

But I'd also cut back on the oil a tad --use a scant half cup, just under a half cup.

And you don't need all that extra sugar either--maybe use half of that too. There's a lot of sugar in the pudding. Sugar is considered another liquid.

Hey maybe get another recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:26am
post #4 of 7

I agree it's got too much sugar and maybe oil. I'd sure cut those two down to about 1/3 cup....... and I'd cut out one of those eggs.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:38am
post #5 of 7

I'm not a carrot cake maker, so I can't help with the recipe, but sometimes it's the knife that causes the crumbs. A good, serrated knife (not a thin flimsy one) will cut a cake SO much nicer!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:46am
post #6 of 7

Wait wait I got it--besides all my other recommendations.

When you grate your carrots--then chop them up so they are all real fine and small so they will cut easy and not tear apart. icon_biggrin.gif

Think that will help???

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:51am
post #7 of 7

sometimes when you tweak a recipe things happen. have you made the recipe as written? the cake may not crumble if you make the recipe as written. just a thought.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%