How To Store Piping Gel

Decorating By Reem0211 Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 4:24am by Reem0211

Reem0211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reem0211 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I took my first Wiltons Cake Decorating Class (Course 1) just yesterday. We are going to attempt to make the rainbow cake. I found (on cakecentral) how to make piping gel to transfer the pattern of the rainbow onto my cake.

I wanted to know how to store piping gel when it's homemade? Can I just put it in a ziplock bag and store in a cool, dry area? Or do you have to put it in the fridge? How long does it keep?

Sorry for so many questions. I decided instead of buying the piping gel that I'd just make it myself since I have all the ingredients readily available and I can save some money!

Thanks alot for reading this.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:32am
post #2 of 3

From wht I have heard - on here & other message boards homemade usually is much too thin &/or it molds in nothing flaticon_sad.gif
I really think this is one product you'd be better off buying.

Reem0211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reem0211 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 3

Thank you kakeladi, I guess I'll just buy some. I did however see another thread with a recipe for cake release! Dumb newbie me was using WAX paper for lining the cake pan (so it can release) and my friend told me that you have to use parchment paper. Suffice to say, my first cake did not turn out well!

I'm going to keep practicing : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%