Cookie Cutter Gifts - Help

Decorating By skatesusy Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 2:04am by skatesusy

skatesusy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skatesusy Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 15

I was hoping someone could help me!! When I was in a Neiman Marcus store last year, I (think it was there!! - over 50 can't remember!), I saw this neat idea of either a cookie or chocolate inside a cookie cutter. The cutter and edible inside was then nicely wrapped in a cello bag and christmas ribbon. Has anyone seen this or done these???

Thank you for any help you can provide.

14 replies
juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 15

No, but what a neat idea. You could lay a cutter on wax or parchment paper, fill 1/3 with chocolate, 1/3 with a peanut butter mix, and top it with 1/3 more chocolate, mmmmmmmm. Let set, peel off the parchment and wrap in a cello bag. neat-toe!!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 15

I've seen these and the one's I have senn are filled with fudge!!!

seem fairly simple to do - just find a good or quick or easy (pick your poison icon_smile.gif recipe and fill em up and you're good to go!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 15

I have not done them myself yet recently I read where you can fill them with chocolates. Place the cutter on wax paper, and just fill in with melted chocolate, let cool and remove wax backing. I wish I could remember where I read this but I can't. Good luck.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 15

Now that I'm thinking about this, I think it would be a GREAT idea. Especially for work people and teacher gifts and such. I didn't think of funge, but that is a great idea. I make a fudge that is very plain, just chocolate, but the point is that you can flavor it with anything. Rocky road, orange, marchino cherries. You could take one recipie of fuge and mix it, then fill in any size cookie cutter. OHOHOH now I'm really ready to do this. mmmmm You could pick up on of those packs of cookie cutters that are holiday specific, and there you would have a dozen or more. Holy mackeral i love great ideas. Thanks Skatesuzy!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 15

. . . you can also do them with rice crispy treats (especially for kids) . . . always well received . . . thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 15

These would also be adorable with peppermint bark for the holidays.
If I were doing this as a gift, I would also attach the fudge or bark recipe to the cookie for that extra touchicon_smile.gif I love gifts that come with recipes.

Ok quick question. I'm assuming people are using the metal cutters or are you seeing plastic ones? Anyone know where to get inexpensive metal ones?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 15

I've always seen them done with the metal ones but I don't see why you couldn't use the plastic ones. I never thought of RCT but that would be great too! I think I may do these for Thanksgiving with leaf shaped cutters to give to everyone as little favors as they leave!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

. . . you can also do them with rice crispy treats (especially for kids) . . . always well received . . . thumbs_up.gif

love this idea! some in my family complain that i always use too much chocolate in my desserts- is this the craziest thing you've ever heard? icon_lol.gif

jennym0904 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

These would also be adorable with peppermint bark for the holidays.
If I were doing this as a gift, I would also attach the fudge or bark recipe to the cookie for that extra touchicon_smile.gif I love gifts that come with recipes.

Ok quick question. I'm assuming people are using the metal cutters or are you seeing plastic ones? Anyone know where to get inexpensive metal ones?

If your're here on the east coast, I'm thinking ACMOORE. I believe they have metal cutters (not too big) for about $1 each. They are getting the christmas/hanukkah shapes in now. thumbs_up.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 15

Crate and Barrel always has a seasonal one. I bought one last year as a last minute teacher gift. It was adorable. They have one this year too.....but I don't remember what the cookie cutter was.....
Heather

jennym0904 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 15

i was also thinking, you could also buy the big container too of christmas shapes (i think wilton has one of those packs) and then do the fudge idea. that maybe another way of cutting the costs!

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 15

I did this last year for a quick, last minute gift and loved it! I used plastic cookie cutters from Walgreens and melted chocolate bark and then let my son add sprinkles while the chocolate was still "wet" It was super cute and EASY. I bought a bunch after Christmas for .25 each and thats our project this year. I will probably try the RKT with sprinkles though. Thanks for the idea! If you have a Walgreens in your area though I think I only paid .50-.75 before Christmas. Good Luck!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 15

my sister did this for her wedding as the gifts at the tables....she wanted a gift that people would not just throw away...so we filled with white chocolate and to this day everyone that was at her wedding 10 years ago still tells us how they still have their heart cookie cutters...how they use them for valentines day and they always think of lolly and louie!!!!! this is such a great gift...and i especially love if you include some kind of reciepe with them....for your great cookie or fudge!!!!!
i also love the RKT idea!!!! how fun is that!!!!! i would think that both medal or plastic cutters would be fine!!!!!!!

skatesusy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skatesusy Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much everyone!!!! Now that I think about it, it had sprinkles etc. to make it more festive. I think it was chocolate, but I love the fudge idea and the 1/3 chocolate-1/3 peanut butter cream-1/3 chocolate.

Again, thank you everyone - you all have been extremely helpful!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%