First Stacked And Filled Cake

Decorating By want2bcupcakequeen Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 11:07pm by kandu001

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 5

I'm going to attempt my first stacked cake. I plan on using a 8" round, 3" deep layer with a 6" layer on top. Should I use a cake board under the 6" and dowels? I plan to fill the 8" layer, do I need to do anything special. I like Costco's apricot mousse filling so will try to make my own apricot mousse filling. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

4 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:22am
post #2 of 5

Yes, just to be on the safe side, I would use a cake board and dowels. Make sure that when you fill the cake you make a damn on the outside of the layers and then put the filling in, so it doesnt run. It would also be good to do a crumb coat and then let the cake settle for a while, I usually let mine settle overnight, but if you don't have that long, let it settle for as long as you can.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 5

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Costco mousse filling recipe:
(With variations.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-590277-.html

HTH

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you, especially for the Costco filling! I love that stuff.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, you should use a cake board and dowels, or SPS as many swear by. If you leave out the board your cakes will stick to eachother and not cut easily, nor will they cut pretty. If you then leave out your dowels/support system you risk damaging the cake. Good Luck and don't forget to post pics when you're all done! princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%