How To Apply Wafer Paper To Cake

Decorating By pastryjen Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm by leah_s

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:58am
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit nervous about this cake for my friend so I'd really love some expert advice for attaching a wafer paper picture to my Indydebi's BC covered cake.

Do I just place it on top of the non-crusted yet icing or do I let it crust and attach it with piping gel?

When do I actually put it on? Last minute or give it 24 hours? Will there be any bleeding? The cake will be picked up early Friday morning for the evening.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate all the help and advice.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:36am
post #2 of 5

There should be no bleeding. Turn the wafer paper over and very, very lightly coat it w/piping gel. Be sure to scrape (carefully) off any excess. The piece will try to curl on you. Work fasticon_smile.gif Place it on the freshly iced cake. You only get one chance to get it placed centered! Now using a fondant smoother OR your spatula smooth it well - especially at the edges.
Many people add piping gel to the top - I've even seen people use as much as 1/2"! icon_sad.gif I always tried to keep it to a minimum but you should coat it well - just not thick. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 5

Are you definitely using wafer paper? It doesn't readily soften much on the cake and can make it difficult to cut. Are you by chance using an icing sheet - an edible image? Those do meld right into the cake and are easier to cut thru, but require a slightly different process for applying to the cake.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

I do believe they are wafer papers - Deco-Edible is the brand and they are made with potato starch.

I've had them in the things to try bin and I thought they'd be perfect for this drafting/blueprint type picture on the cake. I figured there'd be more instructions on the inside of the package - nope and their website is no longer around either!

Thanks so much for your help!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, that's wafer paper all right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%