Fondant Animals

Decorating By maude Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 2:25am by mommicakes

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 12

I have to make a cake for a hunter. I want to put deer on the cake, but can't find any plastic ones anywhere. Is there a tutorial, video, anything that shows how to make them with fondant or gumpaste? Or does anyone knowwhere to find the plastic ones?

11 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 12

I've gotten some clay books that show how to make animals but none show how to make deer. I would check in the toy area for plastic ones.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 12

Maude
I usually go to my local grocery store bakery and they will sell you the cake kits. Usually I go to Walmart and they have a hunter and deer and sell them for $5. I have also gone to AC Moore and they sell little plastic figures and they have a bunch of wildlife. In my photos I did a retirement cake and birthday cakes with the figures. Good luck!!

Christy718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy718 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 12

I made the same kind of cake before and found a kit that came with a deer, hunter and 2 trees at my local cake store. It was almost $10, but if you have a little time you can usually find them on ebay for less. Hope this helps!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 12

I did tutorial awhile back. It isn't for deer, but maybe it will help anyway. Also, Aine2 has some great directions. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593709-summernoelles.html

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 12

Michaels sells the individual deer back in the puzzle section...hth!

maude Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all of the responses. I did check with local Walmart and other bakeries, but none of them had what I was looking for, only a deer head. I will check in Michael's puzzle section. Thanks again

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 12

Our local craft store had packets of 6 deer in a pack. It is called the Treasure Chest. Not sure what you might have in your area but check out smaller craft stores.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 12

Toys R Us has toy animals -- wildlife, zoo, farm animals. We've gotten deer there. I think I have also seen them at Michael's, but not as big a selection, so not sure if they would have a buck.

maude Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks to all of you for responding. My DH did find the animals I needed at Micheal's. I just didn't look in the right spot I guess. The cake turned out good and my brother loved it.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 12

I hope you will post a picture for us to see. I wish I lived closer to either Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I am in the boonies.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:25am
post #12 of 12

I just found this post I was going to suggest going to the local farm store, sometimes they have them there too. Please post picture so we can see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%