Boxed Cake Mix??

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm by DsLady614

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 11

I am making 3 cakes today a choc fudge, butter and spice. I was wondering what to add to make the cakes a little more dense? I read somewhere that I should decrease the amount of oil to only 1 T. I know I can add pudding, but what else. Also can I mix a pound cake mix with it?

10 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 11

sour cream, butter milk instead of your regular liquid, add an extra egg also. But I wouldn't mix a pound cake mix with another variety with out trying it first...may not blend well or end up too dense and heavy. You can also add chocolate to your chocolate mix for a deeper flavor...try adding 4 oz melted to the batter last thing and mix just until blended in. Or add a tad of vanilla too to the chocolate to enhance flavors.

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you soooo much.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 11

.......wouldn't mix a pound cake mix with another variety with out trying it first...may not blend well or end up too dense and heavy........

No problem w/mixing pound & regular cake mixesicon_smile.gif
But you don't need to do that........as she said, just add about 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream and you should have the perfect consistency.
I suggest you try my *original* WASC recipe - yes you can use it with any flavor cake mix for the same, great results.

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks , im too new to know where to find that recipe, could you direct me?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 11
need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 11

Just had to add my two cents - 2sdae is right. Yes, it's an awesome recipe!!

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, I put it in my favorites and will try it later after I get all of the ingredients. It sounds yummy.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 11

White Almond Sour Cream Cake is the best!!!!!

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 11

I have been told that Walmart had pumpkin pudding by Jello. I looked for it at 3 Wal-marts in my area but no luck. Here is my question. I am making a spice cake, I wanted to add the pumpkin pudding but since I cant find it, can I just use canned pumpkin instead of the oil required in the instructions?

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 11

Yup!! I'd recommend the WASC method. I did chocolate cakes with it a couple weeks ago and YUM! And the texture was so nice. Dense, yet moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%