Need Help- Ideas For Baby Cake With Red???

Decorating By jenny518 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 5:33pm by jenny518

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #1 of 7

Ok, so my sis-in-law asked me to make a baby shower cake a few weeks ago, and I agreed. We decided on a pink camo diaper bag (light pink, dark pink, tan, and brown) and a coordinating CC done in pink, brown, and white, maybe some green added. She did tell me that the baby's mommy had chosen red and white as her nursery colors, but we liked the pink idea, so we were going w/ that. Fast forward to tonight, she calls and says that the other lady throwing the shower has already bought all red and white decorations, table cloths, etc. The lady didn't even bother to ask my sis-in-law what the cake would look like, even though they had discussed it early on. My sis-in-law says just keep the cake as planned, but didn't want me to be upset that it didn't match ( I am traveling 2 hours to bring this cake). Should I try to incorporate some red to make it fit in better, or just go w/ pink and brown? The only thing I can come up with is to add red accents to the baby toys that will sit on the cake board. Any ideas? I guess I could go w/ all green camo, but that's so boyish... Ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

6 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:17am
post #2 of 7

What if you just scrapped the pink camo and did the diaper bag in red and white? I think that would make more sense than trying to add some red to the pink and brown.....Did the mom want the pink and brown or is it a surprise?

jenny518 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #3 of 7

Thanks-I did think of that, but I have never made red fondant and am scared. Also, the couple having the baby are real outdoorsy, hunter-type people, so the camo was supposed to be a special nod toward that fact. I don't know what to do!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #4 of 7

You can buy red fondant already colored, also what if you did a red and white camo pattern with just a tiny bit of black or gray to offset it just a little bit? That would help to tie the outdoorsy thing in...??? The red fondant that I got was Satin Ice. Sure did save a lot of time and muscle mixing and mixing. Sounds super cute!!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:09am
post #5 of 7

Ooh. Tough one. Matching the cake to the decorations is very important IMHO.

But you should not have to make that decision, the decorations should have been planned around the cake. Yes, to me the cake is that important, it always has been even before I started making my own.

This reminds me of my son's first birthday party...he was born on Easter so I wanted to use bunnies as the theme. I picked out a really cute Easter cake with bunnies on a hill and had decorated with bunny cups, plates, napkins, tablecloths, banners, everything.

My mother-in-law offered to buy and bring the cake from out of town. When she got to the party I saw it was a just a plain cake with a plastic little boy figure on top. She said she saw it and thought it was so cute so she got it instead.

Needless to say I was not happy and it was very obvious that the cake did not go with the party theme. Did it ruin his party? Well it didn't really, but that was 20 years ago and I still think about that missing bunny cake (of course I am a petty b****!) icon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, you should not have been placed in this position.

My personal opinion is that your sister-in-law should tell the other lady that you have already started on the original cake and she needs to exchange the decorations for some that will match. Most stores will do this even without a receipt if the items are still in the package.

She will probably get mad, but she was wrong to just go out and buy the stuff without talking to other people that were working on the shower.

Good luck!

Kim

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:35am
post #6 of 7

Throw a Raggedy Ann on there with some camo on! lol.

I don't know what to say. I with Kim. They should have had things to go with the cake!

JMHO

Lu

jenny518 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I lost sleep over this one! I think what I am going to do is choose between just making the bag white w/ red funky circles, or go ahead with the camouflage by airbrushing red, gray (or silver), and black, with white background. I just think a pink cake will look stupid w/ all the red. (BTW, the lady refused to take back the decorations- acted put out that my sis-in-law even asked...) I Googled "red camo" and got some images that I can model my camo after. It still isn't cute to me, but oh well. On my cupcake cake, I will now switch the colors to red, white, and black, I guess(ugh!). Do you think I could add one more pretty color? Maybe light purple? What goes w/ red and black?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%