Guess What I Just Saw At Wal-Mart... :)

Decorating By plbennett_8 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm by darandon

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm
post #31 of 50

The pumpkin spice is delicious. I made a cake for a friends birthday. It was:

Chocolate cinnamon cake, Pumpkin Spice filling (instant pudding, replaced milk with heavy cream, YUMMY!!!!) and eggnog buttercream (replace liquid with eggnog and add some extra cinnamon and nutmeg)

This was loved by all including the employees at the restaurant that we were having the party at. They cleaned off the platter (ate what was left of the cake) and washed it.

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:45pm
post #32 of 50

Judi2323,

How do you make the buttercreme with the pudding? I really need a good buttercreme receipe. I currently use the wilton taught in course 1.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:46pm
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. OMG I hope it wasn't Sandra Lee doing a cake demo. LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

icon_lol.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:54pm
post #34 of 50

I'm confused. I always thought Bettercream was not stable and had to be refrigerated. Are we saying that it can be used in the pudding filling and then the cake can be left out for a couple of days?

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:02pm
post #35 of 50

You can also just mix the pudding with regular buttercream, loosen with some reconstitued creamer... icon_smile.gif

I was thinking about using creamer with the Turtle pudding (half of the liquid amount), mix in a few pecans and some swirls of caramel...

Adding either pudding to a cake mix is great! I'm using the pumpkin spice to make a "pumpkin" cake at T-day...

Thanks for the Hobby Lobby heads up! I need some more foam core

Pat B.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:19pm
post #36 of 50

I bought some of the Pumpkin Spice pudding last year. I made the pudding then folded in Cool Whip and used it to frost a spice flavored cake. OMG was that good! I had all kinds of people asking for my frosting recipe. thumbs_up.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannendeville

When you add the pudding mix to the cake is there any thing you need to add or subtract?

I am new at this icon_smile.gif

I just add an extra egg. It always turns out great and I get tons of compliments. HTH!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:28pm
post #38 of 50

Bettercream is non-dairy whipped topping.. it can stand out at room temp. It dries out after 5 or so days, but it's not going to spoil. There's nothing in it to spoil. The company states it can be left out for 5 days with no problems, but it does get a skin and can crack the cake shifts. I don't use it, but this is what I know about it. As a filling it will be more than fine left out at room temp provided it isn't mixed with anything perishable.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #39 of 50

Hi and Welcome to CC, FeelingCakish. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingCakish

I have used a recipe for fillings using pudding mix and whipping cream for a "mousse" type filling. My understanding is that the sugars in the pudding stabilizes the dairy and can be left out. I have done so on several occasions and not had any problems. HTH

The sugar (which is hygroscopic) in b/c recipes is able to control the water activity because the proportion of sugar to liquid used is so great:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582561-.html

There isn't enough sugar in the pudding mix to adequately control the water activity in one or more cups of liquid..

Professional bakers/decorators have to follow safe food handling practices which allows perishable foods to be without refrigeration (while being served) for no more than 2 hours!

If you're serving an unrefrigerated perishable cake to your healthy family and friends, they might not become ill so they wouldn't have a reason to sue you.

However, the general public, and especially young children, the elderly or anyone with an impaired immune system must rely on safe food handling practices and not "luck" when eating anything prepared outside their home.

And I'm pretty sure if anyone of the above got sick, there would probably be a lawsuit.....

HTH

JanH Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

I use pudding for filling my cupcakes. If the cake needs to sit out just stick to the flavors available in the pudding snack packs. They don't need to be refridgerated.

The pudding cups don't require refrigeration because they're asceptically packaged:

http://tinyurl.com/58vnkm

However, once the seal is broken, any unconsumed product requires refrigeration. (Think evaporated milk... it's canned, but once opened requires refrigeration.)

HTH

JanH Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds2323

I use pudding all the time whipped with bettercreme non-dairy topping. I don't have to refridge it then.

Judi

Rich's Bettercreme is normally shelf stable for 5 days. icon_smile.gif

Here's a link to Rich's Bettercreme handling instructions:

http://www.cakepros.com/recommended-handling-instructions.pdf

HTH

JanH Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscater

Where can I get bettercreme? I have never been able to find it.

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, kscater. icon_smile.gif

Everything you ever wanted to know about Rich's Bettercreme (and Pastry Pride):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1814171.html

Bettercreme Fun (with Melvira):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193-.html

HTH

JanH Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #43 of 50

Think I'm going to take a nap now.....

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:56pm
post #44 of 50

I have been adding pudding (instant) to whip cream for some of my fillings also....also the raspberry or lemon cake filling, mixed with whip cream makes for a great light filling. I have used regular whip cream, Pastry Pride and often use the whipped topping in the tubs.

I use to use the BC icing but it made for a funny texture.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #45 of 50

Newbie question alert!! icon_razz.gif

When adding a pudding mix to a cake mix, what flavor combos work best? I have only ever added chocolate to chocolate (for a chocolate addict friend of mine) Would you use just a white cake mix for these holiday flavored puddings? Would a spice cake plus the spice pudding be too much?

Would the Cool whip/pudding mix icing hold up under fondant? Or should it be used as a filling only when covering with fondant? I have only ever iced & filled a cake with BC or whipped icing, never mousse or pudding or anything else.

I really want to jazz up my cake flavors & icing flavors so my cakes stand out better than store bought cakes. Ireally want people to remember my cakes for their taste as well as their appearance.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:44pm
post #46 of 50

I've adding pudding to Cool Whip, it was flavored pudding.. it really brought the taste flavor alive!!!

But the other thing I do, is make a dam with my BC icing then put the mouse?(don't think I spelled that right) in the middle.
Another thing you can add is this Wedding Bouqet Flavoring and there's another called Mystery Baker's Flavoring too.

My theory, if it sounds good to make, then it must be good!! So, go make it, try it out!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingCakes2008

The pumpkin spice is delicious. I made a cake for a friends birthday. It was:

Chocolate cinnamon cake, Pumpkin Spice filling (instant pudding, replaced milk with heavy cream, YUMMY!!!!) and eggnog buttercream (replace liquid with eggnog and add some extra cinnamon and nutmeg)

This was loved by all including the employees at the restaurant that we were having the party at. They cleaned off the platter (ate what was left of the cake) and washed it.

Sounds amazing! I have to try this icon_smile.gif

Ayanami, I use White Chocolate pudding mix in white cakes because it doesn't leave any yellow spots that you would get from vanilla pudding.

I use cheesecake pudding mix in Bettercreme for a cheesecake filling, blending in softened cream cheese as well.

Whipped topping based frostings cannot be used under fondant. Their high-liquid content will disintegrate it. (Includes Bettercreme).

If a spice cake is a strong one, you can always use vanilla, white chocolate, or cheesecake pudding mix to add extra moistness without overdoing the spices.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:24am
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

You can also just mix the pudding with regular buttercream, loosen with some reconstitued creamer... icon_smile.gif

I was thinking about using creamer with the Turtle pudding (half of the liquid amount), mix in a few pecans and some swirls of caramel...

Adding either pudding to a cake mix is great! I'm using the pumpkin spice to make a "pumpkin" cake at T-day...

Thanks for the Hobby Lobby heads up! I need some more foam core

Pat B.

So if I understand you , you mix up non-dairy creamer like for sugar shacks recipe, and then disolve the pudding in that liquid and add it to your buttercream? I tried to add pudding to stuff before and it stayed gritty. I have disolved jello in hot water and added it to Butter cream, just not pudding. I would love to do this to really get some new flavor fillingsicon_smile.gif
Thanks

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm
post #49 of 50

macsmom - thankyou! that gives me some good starting places.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

How do people use filling for pudding? Do you reduce the liquid? Since its pudding these cakes have to be fridged right?

How long will a pudding based filling be stable sitting out. Looking for some ideas for the holidays.

I don't use it for a filling, I add it right to my box mix. Just the pudding mix, not the other things needed for the pudding. I like to mix and match the pudding flavors to my box mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%