Filling For A A Fondant Covered Cake

Baking By cakesbytuti Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 12:31am by keyshia

cakesbytuti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytuti Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I am new to the cake business and I am not sure about fillings for these cake due to the fact that I know u can't refrigerate a fondant cake.
can I use a filling that is based on cream cheese/heavy whipping cream ?

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Thanks

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 8

You can totally refrigerate a fondant cake. Just make sure when you take it out you don't touch it for a while, until the condensation dries off.

cakesbytuti Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 8

I always been told that the #1 rule is to not refrigerate these cakes icon_confused.gif
but i will try to do as u said

Thanks

LusciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LusciousCreations Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 8

You want to be careful if you refrigerate fondant cakes due to the condensation mentioned above. This is the reason that fondant cakes should not be refrigerated.

If your fridge is too cold, when you remove your cake from the fridge and allow it to sit and return to room temperature, the condensation may cause your fondant finish to drip or smudge (then you have some last minute fixing to do). You CANNOT refrigerate an airbrushed, or handpainted fondant cake or your colour will run due to condensation. In our shop we always side on the more cautionary end of things and we do not refrigerate fondant cakes. We do however use homemade jams as fillers which do not require to be kept cold. We find the more cakes we make the more we learn everyday, and one thing we know, fondant is finicky and in general does not like the cold. Hope this information helps.

cakesbytuti Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 8

it is very helpful for me...

can u recomand of any good choclate/vanila/ or any other filling recipe?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 8

You might want to try a fondant covered cake in your fridge, take it out and let it come to room temperature without touching it. I also was afraid to do it, but I made a bleeding heart cake last week, handpainted the fondant and refrigerated the cake. I took it out, didn't touch it and let it come to room temperature and it was fine, no running, even though it was painted with red Americolor. I would think that humidity could affect it too so you might want to test it sometime. I was very pleased to see that I could refrigerate a handpainted, fondant covered cake.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #7 of 8

You could use one of the many sleeve fillings available. I use them a lot since I can't sell anything that requires refrigeration.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 8

That's good to know, I've been wondering about the sleeve fillings needing refrigeration! icon_smile.gif See....always learning something new here!

Keyshia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%