Fondant Blues - White Marzipan.

Decorating By Zazzy Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 7:01am by Zazzy

Zazzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zazzy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi All - Hope someone can help me out with my dilemma as soon as possible. I have just moved from South Africa to Oman in the Middle East and I am trying to make my 1st Birthday cake here in Oman but I cannot get supplies. I wanted to mold a basket ball, graduation hat, etc for HSM cake. I thought of making some but I cannot get supplies. The closest I have come to finding anything here is White Marzipan. Has anyone used this. Can I add tylose to it to mold. I don't want to disappoint my kid. No marshmallow available here too. No Crisco shortening etc. Help Please Help.

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 5

You can definitely mold shapes out of marzipan. It's a very traditional medium for this. It may take much longer to dry. You can color it just like fondant or you can airbrush it after. I have never added tylose to it, but I don't see why not... I would give it a try with a small piece. Once word of caution overworking marzipan will cause the nut oils to come out and it will get very greasy. You can work a little powdered sugar in to get rid of this, but it's best to avoid overworking it to begin with.

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 5

I started using marzipan recently, and love it. If you look in my photos, the figures in the Nightmare before christmas cake are marzipan. I will only use marzipan when Im making figures.

Pam

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, I use marzipan all the time for mold figures. I like it better than fondant for both holding it's shape and the taste is better too. The commercially sold white marzipan made by Odense that is sold here in the USA works very well, even for covering a cake instead of fondant. I also make my own marzipan, it tastes better but isnt' white. Good luck

Angie

Zazzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zazzy Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:01am
post #5 of 5

Thank You All so much. Appreciate the feedback

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%