Sheet Cake Serving Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:59pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:32am
post #1 of 7

Hello,
According to the Wilton year books, the sheet cakes are grouped with the torted 3 - 4 inch cakes... there is no way I can acheive a 1 layer cake that high. (and I don't torte my sheet cakes or disaster strikes)

Does anyone happen to know the serving size for a sheet cake that is about 2 inches high, not torted? I have a baby shower cake for 75 people due soon and want to make sure 12 x 18 plus a pregnant belly on top will feed this many people. (given it is not torted)

thank you. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 7

It is easy to figure the # of servings in a sheet. Just divide each side by 2. A 12x16 would be 6x8 or 48 servings each 2x2x2.
Since a 9x13 will only give you 24 servings even making 2 of those won't be enough....you are going to have tomake two 12x16 cakes & place them side by side on a full sheet board.
Be sure to double the board OR buy a piece of wood (masionite or other) and cover it well.

kellertur Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:49am
post #3 of 7

Thank you - and Good God that's going to be a huge cake... icon_eek.gif
one more question:

Why does the Wilton Year book read that a 1 layer 12 x 18 sheet feeds 72 people??? Is this torted, and how does one torte a sheet cake without it splitting, etc.?

thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have yet more questions... as I always do... icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Why does the Wilton Year book read that a 1 layer 12 x 18 sheet feeds 72 people??? Is this torted, and how does one torte a sheet cake without it splitting, etc.?

They are figuring a 2" tall, and cut into 2"x1.5" squares. That is one little piece of cake, even for me! Are you sure they are saying it's a single layer cake

Torting just makes it ever so slightly taller (add 1/4" for the filling!) and wouldn't really affect the number of servings, since you still have the same cutting area on what is basically a single layer cake (same amount of cake). This logic does not apply if it's a 2-layer cake ... even tho' the cutting area is the same, you really DO have twice as much cake ... twice as tall with twice as much cake.

Hope I didn't just confuse the issue! icon_confused.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 7

I torte and fill 12x18 sheet cakes with no problem. I use a large cookie sheet to slide under the top layer after I cut it with a leveler, pipe a dam around the edge, spread the filling then gently slide the top layer right back on.

Wilton goes with tiny slices so that's why they say you can get 72 out of a 12x18 sheet cake. That is one layer.

For me personally on the 12x18 sheet cakes I say it's 36-50 slices, one layer, depending on how big you want them.

KimAZ

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #6 of 7

I actually say that my one-layer 12x18 cakes serve 54...that with 2x2x2 slices. If you are going to have a pregnant belly on top of this, I'm quite sure you would have enough cake, because you would only need 21 more servings to get the 75 that you need. It all depends on what size the belly would be (are you using a sports ball pan or an egg pan?)

Another thing you could do to get more servings is just have a double layer sheet cake. If you used (2) 11x15 sheet cakes on top of each other, that would give you around 70 servings. Then you would know for sure that with the pregnant belly cake you will have enough servings. If you do a double layer sheet cake, the serving sizes are 1x2x4.

Hope this helps.

kellertur Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much ~

I am using the sports ball pan for the belly (mini ball breasts).
I've thought about doubling up the 11x14 pan for 2 layers. I guess my concern is what Debi says "the cake lady didn't make enough cake" (not the other way around). I may do a double layer 12x18... This is the largest cake I've had to deal with... honestly, I hate making sheet cakes ~ I'd rather stack away... I'd rather not make the massive 24x36 (?) full sheet cake that will never fit in my car.

Should I include a cutting guide out of courtesy? I haven't been able to find a sheet cake cutting guide, only square cake guides.
It's one of my husband's co-workers and I realize most people cut HUGE slices of cake. I believe there will be approx. 75 guests at this shower.

thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%