Sugar Free Icing For One Year Old?

Decorating By hpotter83 Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm by hpotter83

hpotter83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpotter83 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #1 of 11

I am trying to make up my daughters cake for her first birthday, and I would prefer that I used an icing that wasn't too sweet.

Anyone have a nice, stiff icing that is mellow on the sweetness factor? I don't want her being 1)hyped up 2)wanting to throw up, or throwing up from the sweetness.

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #2 of 11

Look for a diabetic recipe.
I once found one in a diabetic book on desserts that used cottage cheese as the base. The biggest problem was the amound for diabetics was so small one could not ice a cake w/the amount the recipe(s) made icon_sad.gif It might be about right for a small smash cake for her.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 11

I have two ideas which I have used frequently for diabetic friendly cakes and/ or not so sweet cakes.I use sugar free pudding, and just add enough milk to get the consistency of icing. Or I use Rich's Bettercreme alone or with the sf pudding for a flavoring, and some merigue powder added after most of the whipping, it allows for a good solid icing that pipes well. Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #4 of 11

Sugar Free Icing

2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. vanilla
1/3 cup honey
2 egg whites, beaten stiff
1 package of instant sugar free vanilla/chocolate/etc pudding

In medium bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese with the butter and vanilla until creamy. Add honey. Beat 3 minutes more. Add instant pudding and beat until dissolved. Fold in beaten egg whites and mix thoroughly. Spread thickly over top of cake. You can make basic borders and decorations with this icing.

I got this recipe from CC but I haven't tried it yet. I know the honey would have to be a judgement call on your part, although it's considered safe once a child reaches one year old.

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 11

I have made SMBC with Splenda and it is just wonderful!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 11

Cream cheese (or Mascarpone), whipped with a bit of sweetened condensed milk to taste and consistency, with a touch of vanilla â nice and simple for a 1-year-oldâs smash cake. Sometimes Iâd add butter in a 3:1 ratio. It is not too sweet and has none of the chemicals found in pudding, artificial sweeteners and pre-made commercial icing. It is reasonably stiff but obviously not crusting â the fridge does the job. Iâve used that several times on kidsâ cupcakes, and on the Barbie smash cake in my pics.

I wouldn't follow the recipe calling for raw egg whites in a kid's cake - while honey is safe in my 1-year olds' world, raw eggs are deffinitely not.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 11

Artificial sweeteners (found in most sugar-free products) are not appropriate for babies or small children because they don't have completely developed immune systems....

Here's a similar thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604817-.html

Honey is also not recommended for infants (under 1, but I wouldn't risk it) because of the possibility of botulism:

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-shouldnt-infants-eat-honey.htm

http://www.babyzone.com/askanexpert/infant-botulism-honey

For a less sweet icing, I would use stabilized whipped cream:
(Not stiff but a smash cake made with this won't make her ill.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1925-0-Stabilized-Whipped-Cream.html

HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 11

Yep. What she said ^^^.

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 11

For my daughter's first cake I used cream cheese icing without sugar. I just whipped equal parts softened butter and cream cheese and added a little vanilla. It was so yummy on her carrot cake!

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 11

Please, please, please don't give your 1 year old artificial sweeteners!!! Google Splenda to see how horrible it is! Even a little sugar is better than Splenda.

hpotter83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpotter83 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 11

Wow guys thanks! The cream cheese sounds good. I would never use artificial sweeteners or raw eggs, or honey for that matter. If I did use a recipe that calls for egg whites, I would use meringue powder.

This has help so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%