Traveling With Cake...need Help/advice!

Decorating By allibopp5 Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 4:37am by AlamoSweets

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 11

I have a close friend who is getting married next month in San Diego, and of course, I volunteered to make the wedding cake and grooms cake. Problem is, I live up near Sacramento, a good 7-8 hour drive away, and will be in a hotel, not my kitchen. I will have access to her small apartment kitchen. My plan is to bake everything at home, make the icings, and pack them on ice for the drive. Once I get there, fill/frost/fondant/decorate them.
Does this seem like the best method? I want to do as much as I can before...from my own kitchen. I'm concerned about traveling with them already filled, so I think that's out.
Oh, and the groom's cake is a carved cake...would you guys recommend carving at home before the drive, or afterwards in the tiny kitchern?
Thanks in advance for your advice, I know several of you have travelled with your cakes!!

10 replies
keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 11

That's a tough one. I will be interested in hearing what you're told to do. I've been requested to make a cake...I live in Utah and the wedding is going to be in SC! I was thinking of making my stuff and shipping it (undecorated or iced) in an ice chest on the plane with me, though I dont' know! icon_smile.gif What part of CA are you in? I know you said you're from close to Sac. I grew up there, lived in Elk Grove which is where I still call home...One day I'll get back there. icon_smile.gif

allibopp5 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 11

I'm in Roseville. I think we'll be driving to San Diego, so the cakes will be under my control. Somehow the idea of flying with hubby, 2 kids, and cakes would make me crazy...did I mention the cake is on Dec 21, super busy airport time (and my bday, no less!)

allibopp5 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 11

...Anyone have some advice for me? Please??...

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 11

well, I think you could fill and crumb coat the wedding cake before you leave, then fix anything that goes wrong. sugarshack has a great way to do it, that involves filling the cakes nad letting them sit before you decorate. The "sitting" part could be in your car!

How many days will you have to decorate the cake?

I can say make sure you bring EVERYTHING you could possible need. And check to see if there are any supply stores around if there is a mis hap.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 11

My only long distance experience was only a 4 hour drive, but I iced, filled and decorated the entire cake and put it in the back of the car in individual boxes. All I had to do was assemble the cakes and add a border when I got there. Worked fine.

allibopp5 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 11

I don't know if I can crumb coat and fill them...they are red velvet with cream cheese icing. I think it'll have to be refrigerated if I do that...

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 11

hmm....

r u making the cream cheese filling? if you buy it in the sleeve it can sit out for a day or 2..(or 4 if you worked at my old bakery).

how do you feel about freezeing? what about crumb coat and fill... then puit in freezer the night before oyu leave, pack em on ice and drive away?

just brainstorming. The only cake I stansported (80 miles, about 1.5 hours) was my pinata cake...

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:53am
post #9 of 11

I made a four tier carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and drove it 200 miles to my sister's wedding. I froze each tier already frosted and transported each tier in it's own box. When I got there, just stacked it put on the border and flowers. I didn't worry about packing them in ice, just let them defrost on the trip.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #10 of 11

I have traveled with several cakes, and my recommendation is: Have as much already done as you can before leaving.... I find that even the 2nd tier travels just fine on top of the bottom tier (if doweled). Then put the other tiers in separate boxes and stack and touch up when you get there.
Carved cake: I would definately have that filled and crumb coated and if possible somewhat decorated...don't know exactly what you are doing with that, so....hard to say. icon_confused.gif But, you could finish up any delicate decorating once there.
I put that foam (egg carton type?) on bottom of my SUV (to absorb impact of bouncing) then set cake boxes on that to keep from sliding around. Also, place cake bases on shelf gripper liner to keep from sliding around in boxes! And, don't let the heat get warm in car, just bundle up! Hee! Hee! Good luck and keep us posted! thumbs_up.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:37am
post #11 of 11

I agree that you could fill and crumb coat at least. If you didn't put a whole lot of filling in you could fill and crumb coat in time to let it sit overnight and settle and frost/fondant the day or night you are leaving. I would stack everything once there and put the final details on. As long as they are not freshly frosted or decorated and the frosting has had time to adhere and harden a bit it should travel just fine. I use so much of the shelf gripper liner I buy it at the Dollar Store and keep extra rolls around. I have also found plain brown heavy cardboard boxes at WalMart that were great when I transported my last 4 cakes for a distance. I cut one side almost all the way down to make it easy to put the cake in and take it out. I also cut one to be a lot shorter to save room. I hot glued a bit of shelf gripper in the bottom of each in a place so I could still untape and collapse the boxes for use again in the future. It kept them cool and out of the sun. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%