Fbct On A Fondant Covered Cake???

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm by Ayanami

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

I had a thought ( bear with me ) icon_wink.gif about making a FBCT stick to the fondant covered cake. What if I applied a layer of piping gel to the bottom (top) of the FBCT before I flip it over onto the fondant? I know that piping gel works for making fondant stick to your already iced & crusted cake, so would it work the other way too? Or do you think b/c this BC is non-crusting instead of crusting that the piping gel would just make a slimy mess? <shrug>

7 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 8

Is this for the top or side of a cake? If it's for the top, I would think that as it thawed, it would stick fine without the need for anything else. Someone else may have more experience that I do though.

Ayanami Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, it is for the top of the cake. I am just worried about it shifting around before it thaws &/or sticks itself to the top of the cake. icon_confused.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 8

I just did this for the 1st time today and actually used a bit of corn syrup as a "glue"

Ayanami Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

What BC recipe did you use?

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 8

I use 2 lb PS, 1 C sweetex, 1 C butter, flavorings... humidity in FL is never on my side, I have to cut out some butter to shortning ratio some days. But never the less it transfered OK. Do you find one transfers better than another? Id love to find a better one for FBCT, I have a hard time in summer getting them to come off the parchment ! icon_sad.gif

Ayanami Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 8

I have only ever used the BUTTERY recipe that comes with the tutorial here on CC. Not very impressed with the flavor or texture though. I think it is greasey & gross, so I make sure that I don't get a piece of cake with any on it. icon_redface.gif Positive side : it comes off the paper really well. icon_razz.gif

Ayanami Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 8

What is sweetex?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%