How Much For This Cake?

Decorating By Iva1976 Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 5:16pm by Susans53

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and I've only made 6 cakes so far. I made this cake one week ago for a friends baby shower. I didn't charge her it was a gift. Someone who attended the shower would like to order a cake similar to this one but I have never sold a cake before, so I have no idea what to charge. I am located in NYC and the cake sizes are 10, 8, 6. I also made the topper, 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. How much should I charge?

Thanks!
LL
LL

4 replies
Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 5

Anyone??

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 5

First of all, your cake is fabulous! I can see why someone else would want to order one. Prices vary according to region, materials, etc. In my area, I wouldn't be able to get the same amount as someone in NYC. According to the Wilton chart your cake would yield 68 servings. Since you have it covered in fondant, you should charge more per serving than all bc (at least I assume it is fondant). For example, if you charge...say...$4/serving on fondant cakes, then your price should be $272 for the cake alone. The topper would be priced according to how long it took you to make it, I would think.

All that being said, if you are not licensed to sell cakes you may not be able to charge at all. There's lots of threads on CC related to who can and cannot charge for cakes and it can be a hot topic. I don't intend to start any debate here, I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't. I know I surely didn't realize all that until I read about it on here.

Again, beautiful job on your friend's cake!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 5

Wow! That cake is amazing! I can't believe you've only made 6 cakes! You are very talented!!

I'm new to pricing myself, so I can't help out a whole lot. But I'll show you a cake that I made and people told me to charge about $2.50 a slice. But I'm in Indiana.. so I'm sure in NYC you would get a LOT more money for your cake. But anyway, here is the photo. Hope it helps.

If nothing else, hopefully someone else will come along and give you a good price range.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272807

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 5

I too live in the NY area and for my first cake I charged $7.50 a serving fondant covered. I wanted to charge $10.00 but they were driving an 1 1/2 hour each way to pick up this cake plus it was my first real sale. Believe you me for what I did it was a bargain! Check out the baby block in my photo's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%