Creams: Whipping & Lemon

Decorating By Sweet_Guys Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:37pm by Mike1394

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 7

We researched CC for a lemon cream recipe so that we could use up some of our egg yolks and to decorate a cake recipe we were trying today. We have a couple of questions:

1. Why would the lemon cream (sugar, cornstarch, water, egg yolks, butter) turn brown in color before it finished turning into a pudding consistency? Is it the eggs? Do you normally add yellow food coloring?

2. We found a 1985 Wilton Yearbook that had a stabilized whipping cream recipe. The only difference between what we've normally made and Wilton's recipe is that Wilton added a cooled mixture of water & unflavored gelatin that has been heated for a couple of minutes. Our question is: What does the gelatin mixture do?

Paul * Peter

6 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:13am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

We researched CC for a lemon cream recipe so that we could use up some of our egg yolks and to decorate a cake recipe we were trying today. We have a couple of questions:

1. Why would the lemon cream (sugar, cornstarch, water, egg yolks, butter) turn brown in color before it finished turning into a pudding consistency? Is it the eggs? Do you normally add yellow food coloring?

2. We found a 1985 Wilton Yearbook that had a stabilized whipping cream recipe. The only difference between what we've normally made and Wilton's recipe is that Wilton added a cooled mixture of water & unflavored gelatin that has been heated for a couple of minutes. Our question is: What does the gelatin mixture do?

Paul * Peter

The gelatin gives the WC a lil firmness.

Did it turn back to lemon color?

Mike

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, Mike, regarding the whipping cream & gelatin issue.

No, the cream didn't turn back to yellow...It's more like a dark yellow & coppery-looking mixture....It tastes incredible, though.

Paul and Peter

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Thanks, Mike, regarding the whipping cream & gelatin issue.

No, the cream didn't turn back to yellow...It's more like a dark yellow & coppery-looking mixture....It tastes incredible, though.

Paul and Peter

I would think it had to do more with the yolks. Could it be liked the yolks cooked a lil more than needed? I don't know just tossing ideas. I've never had it happen. Glad it tastes good though. Add it to some whipped cream. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

That is really odd....... I've never seen that happen before.....

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7

the only time I had my lemon custard discolour was when I used an "oldish" pot. Did you use a teflon coated pot or you know a good coated pot?

Never had it happen since, but I only make it in a coated pot now icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

the only time I had my lemon custard discolour was when I used an "oldish" pot. Did you use a teflon coated pot or you know a good coated pot?

Never had it happen since, but I only make it in a coated pot now icon_smile.gif

OHHH Good catch.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%