How To Successfully Make Chocolate Leaves From Real Leaves?

Decorating By swheatsue Updated 24 May 2011 , 10:05pm by Niki11784

swheatsue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swheatsue Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 16

I have tried & tried to make chocolate leaves from real leaves. I paint on the melted chocolate & when the chocolate has set I cannot remove the real leaf without the chocolate cracking & breaking off. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

15 replies
trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 16

not sure what the answer to this is but i would like to know so am just bumping the post. icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 16

You might want to try popping the leaves in the freezer briefly after you've painted on the chocolate to let them set. Then they'll be easier to remove. The link below is fabulous for giving tips and instructions about chocolate leaves.
http://tipnut.com/how-to-make-chocolate-leaves/

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 16

When I do chocolate leaves (which is quite often) I use rose or lemon leaves. They're a bit glossy, which I think helps the chocolate to come off. I always paint a layer of chocolate, being careful to come right to the edge of the leaf, but with no overhang. I let it set in the fridge, and then do a second coat. The leaf ends up a little bit thicker, which helps it to be a bit less fragile. Oh yes...I paint the underside of the leaf so that the veins really stand out in the chocolate. I have one of my chocolate leaf cakes in my pictures. Take a look, and if I can help in any way, let me know! icon_smile.gif

HTH,

Teresa

swheatsue Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 16

terri-jo

Thanks so much for your help! I looked at your photos & your leaves are absolutely beautiful! I will give your method a try.

Susan

swheatsue Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 16

CakeWhizz

That was a great link! Thanks so much!

Susan

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 16

No worries Susan! I really hope your leaves turn out great and please remember to post the pictures on CC!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 16

I don't know if I would use real leaves.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS019

Mike

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #9 of 16

I'm glad this came up, I'm using the silicone veiners in the shape of leaves and I'm having a heck of a time with the leaves cracking apart when I try to "unmold" them.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 16

Each fall I gather all my nice rose leaves and make tons of chocolate leaves in all sizes. I just love using them throughout the year and get such good response from people who see them. Rose leaves are not suppose to be toxic and I make sure they are wiped clean before using them. I have tried different ways to do it and I think you have to find the way that works best for you.
You do paint on the back side of them to get the vein imprint. Some people drag them through the chocolate but I have found this is easiest for me and I get it thick enough so I don't have to do a second coat. I spoon a blob of chocolate in the center of the leaf and use a small brush to bring it out to all the edges. Set them on parchment paper and set the tray in the freezer or fridge to set. If they don't peel off readily, set them back in for a longer time. I store them between layers of paper towels in Tupperware. Keep your chocolate pretty hot as it gets difficult to spread it if it cools down.
Once in awhile I will open the container and they have spots where the chocolate has turned sort of white or lighter colored. Just hold a hair drier high over the leaves for a few seconds and they are just perfect again. I think this happens because of some moisture in the leaves, but this method works to restore chocolate used on anything.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 16

I have tried repeatedly to do the chocolate leaves with no success. The only thing different everyone is doing is the type of leaves they use. I will try the rose leaves next time but why do all the books always tell you to try maple?
Mine stuck, broke, ripped, and were a total failure.

swheatsue Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 16

I tried terri-jo's suggestions on several different kinds of leaves. I tried maple, oak & a small heavily veined leaf. The larger maple & oak leaves kept breaking even after applying 2 coats of chocolate. The smaller leaf worked well. I found the chocolate cooled pretty quickly & became difficult to paint on. So next time I will try lilybird's suggestion of puting chocolate on the leaf & then painting outward. I will get there eventually!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 16

Boy, who would have thought that chocolate leaves were really a technique to be practiced! icon_rolleyes.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 16

I melted my chocolate, and spooned it onto the back of lemon leaves (made sure they were not sprayed, plus I washed them well, and dried). I then let them dry completely and peel them off. If you fell like it's going to break, tear off the leaves. Always make extras in case of breakages.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:15pm
post #15 of 16

I haven't tried doing leaves yet. Do you think after washing and drying the leaf, you could rub it with crisco grease very lightly, then paint on the chocolate? I wonder if that would help it release. Just a thought.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:05pm
post #16 of 16

Want to give this a bump-has anyone had luck with rubbing the leaf with crisco or oil first?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%