Buttercream & Ganache I Have A Delimna... Help!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By sweetnlo Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm by indydebi

sweetnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnlo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 7

I'm hopinh someone can give me an answer asap.... I was asked to make a Christening cake last week for tomorrow. I just received a call a few minutes ago from my friend and she wants me to crumb coat with ganache & cover in white buttercream ..can this be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP

6 replies
revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 7

Hmm..interesting! It's usally done the other way around. I guess it would work,i'd refridgerate the cake for a few minutes before putting the buttercream on though. Just so it would be firm and not mix into the buttercream. Let us know how it works!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:10am
post #3 of 7

I've worked with ganache several times though I've never even thought to do it this way. The things our customers think up! I suppose it would be possible. Though like revel said, you will for sure want the ganache to be thoroughly chilled and set before you start to ice it.

Pastelitoz4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastelitoz4u Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:16am
post #4 of 7

oooh sounds interesting. mmmm. I guess make sure it is completely cooled. Let us know how it turned out.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:57am
post #5 of 7

are you sure she did'nt mean crumb coat with bc and cover w/ ganache?
the only thing i could suggest is what the others said, make sure the ganache is chilled. good luck let us know how it goes.
sorry for the lack of caps, i'm typing with one hand and holding a baby in the other thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:37am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlo

I'm hopinh someone can give me an answer asap.... I was asked to make a Christening cake last week for tomorrow. I just received a call a few minutes ago from my friend and she wants me to crumb coat with ganache & cover in white buttercream ..can this be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP

Use #789 to apply the buttercream once the ganache has chilled. You will need to work fast. Also, this cake will need to be kept chilled so the buttercream does not slide off.

Well let us know how it goes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 7

I hope there is a way to do this for you and your customer. But in all honesty, if a customer asked me if I could do that, I'd tell them "no". (not saying it cant' be done ..... just saying that *I* couldn't do it).

To me, it would be like someone asking the handyman to put up the wallpaper BEFORE he put up the drywall.

If it's possible, then I'm just displaying my ignorance and inexperience .... but if I'm inexperienced in flying a plane, then I dont' fly a plane. Not saying a plane can't be flown ... just saying that *I* couldn't do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%