Stacking And Cutting A Wedding Cake

Decorating By mcginnis Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm by indydebi

mcginnis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcginnis Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

Making my first 3 tier wedding cake out of buttercream frosting, and was hoping to get some advice on a couple of questions.

First, when stacking the layers right on top of each other, is there a way to help keep the icing from coming off the bottom and second layers when the cake tiers are taken apart to cut?

Also, what is the correct way to cut a round wedding cake? Especially the bottom layer which will be a 18-inch round.

Thanks so much for the help!
mcginnis

5 replies
tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 6

Here is a link for cutting the cake. Hope it helps.
It's from indydeb's website.

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 6

my cake always sticks to the bottom layer too...

hmm. the inydebi method is similar to how I cut cake... however she lays hers on its side.. brilliant!

I use a chefs nice... it has a wider blade icon_smile.gif But it is really thin so it doesn't make a mess

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 6

Some of the posts i have seen on here to prevent icing sticking to the boards is putting a cut piece of parchment paper or sprinkling a light dusting of powdered sugar before putting the next tier on.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking was.. but parchmnent is probably better.. icon_smile.gif thanks.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 6

My cakes don't stick to each other. As you can see in the above posted link, you can see the indentation of the plates on the bottom tier, but the icing stayed in place ..... it shows the plate was touching the bottom cake, but no sticking. My icing crusts well and I assemble the cake on site, so I'm not placing a cake on top of wet, sticky icing.

Since I cut the majority of my wedding cakes, I see first hand that the cakes don't stick.

So I think it depends a lot on your icing.

My "I-always-say-this" caution: some suggest putting a layer of coconut between the layers. I say be sure to check with your client first. I detest coconut and if my cake had any coconut on it, I would deem it inedible and demand a FULL refund.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%