is called to order. Happy Halloween!
Who's up?
And whatcha doin'?

46 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #2 of 47

I'm working on:

1 4-tier wedding cake. It's iced and has pearls on it, but no ribbon yet.

1 3-tier wedding cake - Damask. finishing up the bottom tier now (3 sides to go).

1 groom's cake. Need to do some airbrushing and a bit of poured sugar work.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #3 of 47

just put my daughters purse cake (birthday party tomorrow) to bed (along with my six kids icon_smile.gif )for the night. Will put it on top of the sheet cake and add embelishments tomorrow.

My friends daughter got lice at school this week (yuck, poor thing) so her birthdy party was canceled, thus lightening my cake making load for the weekend.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 47

My goodness, Leahs. You are one busy lady! I just finished a Tinkerbell b-day cake and thought I'd catch up on CC before the high school Friday night football review comes on the local news. I'm such a hs football junkie...

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:08am
post #5 of 47

I wish I had enough cake orders to be working on them tonight lol. I, however, have just gotten home from work and am resting my aching, pregnant feet!

Good luck with all your cakes!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 47

Just one duck cake here. I need to put "water" on the board and place him on it and box him up. It was my first and I thought I was going to be up all night with it...I was scared about the head. Gosh, it was easier than I thought it was going to be.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:21am
post #7 of 47

I finished up 1 3 tier "elegant marsh" themed wedding cake. My birthday was last week, but my birthday party is tomorrow. My assistant's birthday was 2 days ago, so it's actually a joint party... we made ourselves a 6 tier birthday cake. The bottom 3 are dummies and the top 3 are real. The party is at a Thai restaurant, so it's asian inspired design. Have a lot to finish! Plus party favors.

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:24am
post #8 of 47

So anybody need any help figuring out anything? We're got a good crew on here tonight!

all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #9 of 47

Happy belated Birthday Alison!

Neicey76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neicey76 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #10 of 47

I just finished a small anniversary cake for my grandparents. just one tier as its only about 12 people for dinner tomorrow. Had a lot of chocolate orders this week so glad to be done with that, plus did a retirement cake this morning for my son's principal. I am ready to pass out but of course had to stop by to see my fellow cc'ers! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #11 of 47

Hey Neicy, Letterman's still on - it's early. And remember, tomorrow we get an extra hour of sleep!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #12 of 47

I'm here, had to finish up the trick-or-treating with my son and now back to my shop.

I do have a little vent though if ya'll don't mind listening - there is another bakery that is not far from me that opened up little over a year ago. Well, I found out last week that they are closing and the owner called me and offered to sell me her refr. display case for $200 so I went down there and gave her 1/2 of the money and she said for me to pay the rest when I pick it up, which is tomorrow as today was their last day of business. Anyways, so I get back to my shop tonight and there is a message on there to give her a call, so I do and she tells me that she was able to sell her business and the people want the display case so if I could come by tomorrow she will give me my money back. UGHHH, am I wrong to by very mad by this? Not so much that I am not getting the case now (which yes, I wanted) but seriously what kind of person contacts me, takes my money, and then sells it to someone else? I am just really really mad by this and have a feeling that I won't be able to keep my mouth shut when I get over there tomorrow.

sorry to vent, I am just really not happy about this

Neicey76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neicey76 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #13 of 47

No u have a right to be a lil bit upset tdybear1978. She set you up to let you down. She should have said I might be selling the place but will see if i can sell u the display case and wait till she knew for sure what was going down to take your money. HOW RUDE!!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #14 of 47

I'm here I just finished 50 Ice Cream Cone cup cakes for a birthday party tomorrow for a set of twins

Molly icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:19am
post #15 of 47

Yeah tdy, that sucks. Don't know what you can do about it, though. Still sucks.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:33am
post #16 of 47

Hey Leah, I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for all your help! I learn so much from your posts, I hardly ever have to ask a question because I can almost always find that you have answered it already! So anyhow thanks for the help even if you don't even know you are helping me! (Wow that was kinda sappy huh! LOL!!!)

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #17 of 47

And another thing tdybear, she should bring you the money and apologize, not make you drive over there to get your own $$.

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:37am
post #18 of 47

Aww, you're welcome mw.

::blushes::

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #19 of 47

yeah, I know there is nothing I can do about it. It just makes me mad when people do crap like this. I was just recently in a very similar situation and someone wanted to buy a freezer I was selling and we agreed on $250, he has not given me the money yet and said he will have access to a truck on Sunday and will come get it and pay me - another guy called me last night and said he will give me $400 (original asking price in online ad) and I told him that I can not give him a definate answer until after Sunday because I have already made other arrangements but would let him know if that did not work out. I just think there is something to be said about people having just a tad of integrity and actually doing what they say, especially when she already took my money for it. I am just really aggrevated by this. OH WELL, I guess I will just get my money back and be happy that she will not be my competition anymore (yes I know that sounds a little spiteful lol)

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:10am
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

So anybody need any help figuring out anything? We're got a good crew on here tonight!

Sorry this is longer than I thought...bear with me please!

I do! I'm about to cry! This cake has to travel about 2 hours tomorrow! I am working on an cake that looks like an oreo cookie. The top and bottom layers are the darn good chocolate recipe (minus 1 egg-had trouble baking the cakes wed. night and had to modify after the 3 rd failed attempt!-that's another story!) The layers are 1 3/4 inches tall and 12 inches in diameter. The middle layer is a white cake with the extender recipe. It is 11 inches and 1 1/4 high. I didn't think it was tall enough for supports and plus I wanted the oreo cookie effect when the cake was cut. As I am finihing the last few stripes I noticed what looks like the icing/ cake is buckling on the back side. So to try to save the cake, I managed to get the top layer off onto a cake board without to much damage. I scraped off the white buttercream and now sit here because I really do not know what to do. THere is no way I can deliver the cake to the wedding- I have prior commitments with my kids.

Any advice on how to fix it at this late hour??

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:16am
post #21 of 47

Is it the top "cookie" that's buckling? I'd be surprised if the top "cookie" made of cake would be strong enough to stick out over the "filling with support. Even 1/2 inch. Cake needs something under it. Have you seen this done before?

dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:21am
post #22 of 47
Quote:

Is it the top "cookie" that's buckling? I'd be surprised if the top "cookie" made of cake would be strong enough to stick out over the "filling with support. Even 1/2 inch. Cake needs something under it. Have you seen this done before?

I had pmd several people asking about their techniques for this type of cake and no one mentioned support. It's actually the icing on the middle layer and the icing on the bottom layer. It was getting that crinkled look-where it had been smooth before! The top layer seemed to be fine.

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:24am
post #23 of 47

OK, so there's icing on the outside side of the white cake, right and that's gettng wrinkled? The icing is the "creme filling", yes? Are you using the Wilton icing recipe?

dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:28am
post #24 of 47

Yes, there is white icing on the middle for the cream effect. No it's not wilton's-it's Sugarshcks b/c(with sweetex). I did use Wilton's dark chocolate icing for the chocolate part. I did use an icer tip for the first time on the white layer. When I scraped off the icing-it was alot thicker than I normally put on my cakes. Could that have been the problem?

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:31am
post #25 of 47

I have a problem, I need to go to bed! Its 1:30am here in NY. I just finished decorating a 4 tier wedding cake and need to clean. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night and the night before I got 5 hours. Why do I do this to myself. The brunt of my work was done earlier between a couple cake order, cookie bouquets, cupcakes, rice krispy pumpkins. My kitchen is a disaster area! Will someone ocme clean it for me? I have been living on coffee all week and I think its all catching up to me right now! But had to check out cc first icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:36am
post #26 of 47

Too much icing could be the problem. I ran thru here looking at pictures of Oreo cakes and some are done in fondant. Others have icing in the center for the "creme" but it's not always smooth. Try using less icing and give it a few minutes to crust. Even if it wrinkles, I don't think that's a deal breaker.

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:37am
post #27 of 47

mmhhhmmmm, I'm cleaning too. The rest can wait until morning. No one in the B&B tonight, so I don't have to cook breakfast in the morning.

dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:39am
post #28 of 47
Quote:

Too much icing could be the problem. I ran thru here looking at pictures of Oreo cakes and some are done in fondant. Others have icing in the center for the "creme" but it's not always smooth. Try using less icing and give it a few minutes to crust. Even if it wrinkles, I don't think that's a deal breaker.

I am worried now, that I will be unable to get the top of the cake off the board I have it on-the top is finished and the b/c was trying to crack while I removed the top! The white cake does not look cracked with all the icing removed.

dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:40am
post #29 of 47

angelscakes5
I'll trade ya-you come fix my mess and I'll come clean yours! LOL! icon_lol.gif

all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:40am
post #30 of 47

I wish I could help you dabear! I've never made one of those before though.

Here's my accomplishment for the night.

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/normal_duck.JPG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%