Urgent Mmf Help Needed....please!

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 12:57am by preciosa225

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 5

I made MMF and dyed it a few days ago. Today when I tried to roll it to cover my cake, it was very dry and gritty! I had stored it on the table double wrapped in saran wrap and in a zip top bag. I added shortening to it but it won't come around. It is still gritty and breaks (almost crumbles). Does anyone know why this happened and is there anyway to fix it? I don't have time to make a new batch.

4 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 5

You might try sticking it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. This can help. Be careful though, too long and it will be gooey and burn your hands (not that would know icon_redface.gif )

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 5

This happens to me all the time.... warm it up so it kneads easily and work in some corn starch. Just dust your counter a little and knead it. I know it seams wierd to do, but it works! I do it all the time!!!! After I work in a little cornstarch, I work back in a tiny bit of crisco just to absorb the cornstarch that you can see.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 5

Yep...warm it up! 10-15 seconds. I went to cover mine yesterday, SAME PROBLEM, and warming it helped immensely...I mean, I almost threw the wad of MMF against the wall. A little Crisco, a little kneading...whew! Saved!

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all soooo much!!! I warmed it up and it was still grainy but I was able to manage enough to cover the cakes...Pheww! (that was a close one). The Crisco helped a lot too and I did try cornstarch as well which all combined seemed to do the trick. I am so relieved to find out this has happened to others because it looked so weird to me that I couldn't figure out what in the world I'd done wrong and I was ready to quit caking. icon_cry.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%