I Think I Figured It Out!!!!! Those Awful Gas Bubbles In Bc

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm by tonicake

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

I know y'all get these, as I have seen lots of posts on them. And they drive me crazy. You know, that funny little air bubble that suddenly appears in your buttercream (and ALWAYS on the front of the cake!) and you have to take a pin and pop it and smooth it out again. Or worse yet, it appears after you have left the site and set up

Well, they drive me crazy and nobody had answers! We all know it had to be related to humidty and the cake warming up. Shrinkage.

So I started to experiment. I have discovered this (at least it works for me!) I used to cool my cakes down as it was easier to torte them and do the crumb coat while cold. Sometimes I would do them when they were half frozen. THIS was the problem! I now take my cakes out, while still wrapped up and let them come to complete room temp. 4-6 hours or overnight let them obsorb all that humidity in the room, and get comfy. Then I torte them and fill them, then stick them in the fridge to let the damm set. Then I do my crumb coat, etc etc. on the cold cake (I just find it impossible to ice a warm cake!)

I haven't had a bubble since. And we have had some mightly humid days (it rained for three days one weekend and I had four buttercream wedding cakes that weekend..and no problems!) I had some sit in the fridge decorated, some sit out in the room, and no bubbles!!!!

I hope this works for everyone!!

6 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 7

Great info!! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:01am
post #3 of 7

great info!

Sugarshack addresses this problem in her "art of Bc" DVD

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:03am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for letting us know. I also had this problem, but I didn't know why at the time.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:40am
post #5 of 7

It is good to know specially for people like me that are new on this Thank You. thumbs_up.gif

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 7

I was having this problem also, for me it was worst because it was happening after my cake was cover with fondant.
I just find out that the problem was that the fridge that I have for the cakes was too cold, I put the temp down and I haven't have this problem for weeks, I made over twelve cakes since and no bobbles. thumbs_up.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the reminder! I have sugarshacks dvd's, but I haven't seen them in a couple of months. Time to get them back out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%