Embossed Fondant

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm by karateka

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

When covering a cake with fondant that has been embossed with an impression mat, how on earth do you smooth it down the side of the cake without messing up the pattern?? I tried this for the first time today, and was not happy with the result. Is there a trick?

5 replies
Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 6

i was always taught to use the impression mat AFTER the fondant is on the cake (with the exception of ribbons)
HTH

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 6

I was shown how to do that by a Caljava rep at the OSSAS last year. He took a piece of foam that they use to package their pre-made flowers and used it to smooth the fondant. Worked great and no mess-up of the impressions....

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 6

Can you describe this foam? Is it soft?

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 6

I was told to use a sponge. Not the hard kitchen type, but the soft foam type sponge. I did a leather tooled cake and it was really hard, but with a few practice rounds I found that gentle hands and the sponge worked best. The top tier I just couldn't get right because of that very issue. I was so fed up I re-did the bottom layer at the last minute with the sponge and it really did work better. Now every time I look at the pictures I wish I had re-done the top also!!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, it was soft foam like you would package something fragile with. Kind of like a sponge....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%