Turd Cake - Long...but Check Out The Pic Anyway

Decorating By oosarahmarieoo Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 3:10am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

oosarahmarieoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oosarahmarieoo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 35

Hi, I'm new around here and new to cake decorating. Other than a basic two layer cake with buttercream and piping I have not ventured out...until now. Last week I made a mac book cake for my brother's birthday with MMF. It turned out ok. So my confidence was up.

Well, my first attempt at making a carved caked was a total fail! Ha ha. I wanted to make it tapered like a topsy turvy cake. Well, that sorta worked. I used the chocolate WASC and I filled it with a Kahlua mousse and topped it with buttercream. So far, so good (not great, but good)

Then came the modeling chocolate. Sounds simple... 10oz chocolate chips melted, 1/3cup corn syrup. Mix, chill. Mold.

This stuff turned to goo as soon as I touched it. Then it hardened as soon as it hit the cake or I put it down. My original plan for the cake was to have "fondant-type" circles and maybe fondant lollipops or a spider or two. Simple. Cute.

When the modeling chocolate failed I decided to go with it. (Since it was already after midnight and I had work in the morning) It would have taken less time to just make some marshmallow fondant and do it right. So, I used the drippy chocolate to "drip" down the side of my cake. Why? I don't know. It was late. Then I decided I didn't like how the top of the cake looked so I ripped off some of the slime puddles (and cake and icing that had adhered to it) Now I was left with a big hole. Hmmmm, I thought, I should make a stand up ghost.

Word to the wise...NEVER MAKE A CHOCOLATE GHOST!!!!

Now my cake has a giant turd with eyes and a creepy smile. Great. Oh well. It's 1:30 am by now. I go to put it in the outside fridge...It doesn't fit. Solution? Smash the turd down about an inch. Now I have a smashed turd with smooshed eyes and a creepy smile.
This morning I open the fridge to find the cake has cracked around the turd in two places. Oh well, I will either make a bit of marshmallow fondant tonight before the party to make a proper white ghost, or I will serve the turd cake in all its glory.

[img][/img]
LL

34 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 35

I'm dying over here right now; thank you so much for such a great laugh so early in the day!!! icon_biggrin.gif
I don't actually think your cake is as bad as you think it is! I was picturing....you know......a LONG TURD!!! LOL!!!

missyssweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyssweets Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 35

I was reading and expecting something totally different. Your cake doesnt look that bad at all!! Funny story though! Dont you love working on cakes in the middle of the night? jk Ive had many nights like that!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tinaweena197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinaweena197 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 35

Hahaha...It doesn't look like a turd!

That was hilarious though icon_lol.gif

oosarahmarieoo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 35

You are all too kind. I guess it does have a sort of charm! One of my co-workers said he looks like Gloppy from Candy Land!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 35

It looks cute.

the problem with the chocolate clay is the ratio of chocolate to syrup.

It should be 14 ounces of chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup.

or

16 ounces of chocolate to 1/2 cup syrup.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 35

icon_lol.gif WELCOME ! I wouldnt change a thing Its HALLOWEEN you can create anything you want to Its supposed to be funny ! icon_lol.gif
I think its great ! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

oosarahmarieoo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

It looks cute.

the problem with the chocolate clay is the ratio of chocolate to syrup.

It should be 14 ounces of chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup.

or

16 ounces of chocolate to 1/2 cup syrup.

Thanks!!! I got my ratio on here somewhere. Oh well. I will know better for next time. I was ready to throw out the idea of modeling chocolate but I will not lose faith!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 35

icon_lol.gif Too cute.

Turdster the Friendly Ghost.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 35

Seriously -- I was envisioning a cake made to look like dog poop!! It turned out cute. Every cake I make, I end up making similar decisions.. thinking what do I do now? Your cake turned out cute! Serve it in all it's glory!!

P.S. I was laughing so hard, I had to read this to my husband. Keep that sense of humor!!

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 35

Oh my goodness, that was a totally hilarious story. I was expecting to scroll down to find...well, you know. Instead I find a perfectly cute cake. It looks like a mud or chocolate monster...which is exactly what I would say I was going for if anyone asks!!

It's adorable and you are too funny. Happy Halloween!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 35

Yah...I thought we were all being treated to a pic of a turd cake...hee hee. Kudos to you for submitting it too! If you sold this, it could've ended up on cakewrecks.com! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 35

(chanting in a sing song voice) Turd Cake! Turd Cake! Turd Cake!

Serve that turd cake in all it's wrecky glory!

Pastelitoz4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastelitoz4u Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 35

ooh saramarie I admire your courage to try something different, after all that is how we end up learning... icon_smile.gif ......I also like your sense of humor. Don't get discouraged and I think your cake came out very cute, just serve it with all its glory and enjoy it. thumbs_up.gif

oosarahmarieoo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 35

Thank you everyone! It will be served with pride today. I guess I should have titled this post "accidental turd cake" he he.
I will keep baking and posting my cakes on here. I am learning so much from all of you!

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 35

Send it to the Cake Wrecks blog...go bi or go home!

Revel in your mistake with your head held high, and NEVER make another chocolate ghost again!

Loved your post...too funny!

E

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 35

I am cracking up at my desk in the office and the girl I work with thinks I'm insane! lol. Sorry you're not pleased with your cake but thanks for the giggle!!!

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 35

Hey, Oosarahmarieoo, I love your cake just the way it is! (And it's way to cute to be a true CakeWreck...those cakes are usually gross or tacky!) I agree with Nanikins; call it a chocolate monster icon_smile.gif Thanks for making us all laugh today by sharing your way-after-midnight adventures...probably most of us have been there!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #19 of 35

LOL cute cake! Great story too

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil

Revel in your mistake with your head held high, and NEVER make another chocolate ghost again!

E

Obviously, I meant "go BIG or go home"... tapedshut.gif

Wow, what a typo! Sorry if anyone was offended! icon_redface.gif

E

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #21 of 35

Actually I think that cake looks cute!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #22 of 35

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Word to the wise...NEVER MAKE A CHOCOLATE GHOST!!!!

Now my cake has a giant turd with eyes and a creepy smile. Great.

Oh Jeepers! I'm wheezing!!! I was reading along just fine...smiling a bit. Then, I had to go and read that!

I thought your cake was cute before I started reading...now, I can't look at it without seeing a turd with eyes

Is that like...

PEEK-A-POOOOOOOOO!

CuttingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuttingCakes Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:09am
post #23 of 35

I had to laugh... I just inadvertently made a cow flop cake, and then log on here and see this post. It wasn't a disaster... yet, I was just loading on the chocolate frosting before spreading it out and then realized what it looked like.
My husband decided to load it with undigested corn and carrots (candy corn), but I think I like it better without them.
If I knew the birthday girl better I would have sent it like this... her family has a great sense of humor.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #24 of 35

what's a good uh...flop cake without a few flies!!! "Corn!?! I ain't ate no corn!!!"(from the movie, Senseless with Marlon Wayans)

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #25 of 35

Thanks for the laugh - LMAO!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #26 of 35

Oh that was just hilarious! Not laughing at your pain but that story was freakin' funny! It's just I have had those nights before and has so many "good ideas" that when they were done...I was left scratching my head and saying, "what was I thinking???"

I think the cake looks fine! It definitely wasn't as bad as you made it sound! Keep your head up!

oosarahmarieoo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:02am
post #27 of 35
Quote:

E

Ha ha, i didn't even realize that you said go bi or go home instead of go BIG! No offense here!

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:52am
post #28 of 35

I like your Turd cake in all it's glory! I mean.....it IS Halloween!!! You made my sides ache. That has got to be one of the best stories on CC. Let us know the end to it!!! I am dying to here how the mystery of the Ghostly Turd ends.................... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:33pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:

Quote:

E

Obviously, I meant "go BIG or go home"... tapedshut.gif

Wow, what a typo! Sorry if anyone was offended! icon_redface.gif

E

I was kind of wondering what sexual orientation had to do with the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:35pm
post #30 of 35

How did the cake go over? Great story, loved reading it.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%