Help Fondant Question????

Decorating By silverspring_2007 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:12am by SharonK1973

silverspring_2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverspring_2007 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hi All,
My question is do any of you frost your cake before covering with fondant or is the cake just crumb coated so the fondant adheres to it? I'm new to this and really unsure as to what to do. icon_cry.gif I have a birthday cake coming up in a few days and would like to use fondant for the first time. And if you don't ice the cake is the fondant's the frosting???? Wouldn't this be a dry cake. I really need help here I'm SO confused. And if I do ice it what kind of icing do you all recommend.
TIA for all your help ladies. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 9

I always frost the cake like I normally would if I wasn't using fondant, just in case there are some that don't like the taste/texture of fondant that want to peel it off, they will still have a normally iced slice of cake to enjoy!
Some people only crumb coat......others use the fondant solely as the "frosting" and just put a brushing of melted apricot jam on the cake......it's all what you prefer or rather what YOUR CUSTOMERS prefer

silverspring_2007 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 9

KHalstead thank you so much for your help and replying to my post. The coustomer prefers frosting under the fondant.
Thank You Again for Responding thumbs_up.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #4 of 9

You definitely need to frost the cake and then apply the fondant. The fondant won't stick without the icing. It also provides a yummy flavor if you are using plain fondant. princess.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I always frost the cake like I normally would if I wasn't using fondant, just in case there are some that don't like the taste/texture of fondant that want to peel it off, they will still have a normally iced slice of cake to enjoy!

Ditto!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 9

If you don't frost, the moisture from the cake will liquify the fondant. (Not that I know from experience) icon_redface.gif

silverspring_2007 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 9

Thank you ALL for all the informative help on how to do this the right way I really appreciate it alot. Now I feel more at ease and can't wait to try it!
icon_biggrin.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 9

A fair amount of frosting will help you smooth the fondant easier. Everyone assumes the fondant tastes bad and peels it off so they need the frosting too. I always tell them I make my own and they should try the taste and now I have people that peel the MMF off and eat it instead of the cake!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:12am
post #9 of 9

I work A LOT with fondant, and I ALWAYS put frosting under the fondant. People really appreciate that because everyone is pleased... beautiful fondant and good frosting for those who don't care for fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%