Grandma's Apron

Decorating By mommyle Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm by MosMom

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:45am
post #1 of 15

I was sent this today via e-mail. I figured that there might be a few here who still use an apron, and others who remember those who used to. Enjoy.

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress
underneath, but Along with that, it served as a potholder for
removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was
even used for cleaning out dirty ears .
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy
chicks, and Sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the
warming oven
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot
wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought Into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas
had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to Bring in apples that had fallen
from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how
much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto The porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to
dinner.
It will be a long time before Someone invents something that will
replace that 'old-time apron'
that served so many purposes.
REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to
cool Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on
that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an Apron.
Share this with those who would know, and love the story about
Grandma's aprons.

14 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 15

Isn't that the truth. Thanks for sharing.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 15

Oh my that is so sweet icon_biggrin.gif I cannot think of any of my grans and great grans without aprons. I have one too and it gets used for everything icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 15

mommyle .. Thanks for sharing that !Thats such a memory for me, Both of my gramma,s always had an apron on, And my mom to, but not 24/7 like my gramma,s. I also remember how on occasion how fast they could pull it off if the preacher happen to pay an unexpected visit!
It didnt make any difference what they had to do that day clean, cook ,they always put that apron on as soon as they were dressed in the morning!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 15

That is what is wrong with the world today...we all need to don those aprons.

The bakery where I work...you are not allowed to even wipe your fingers on your apron. The apron is to protect the food from your personal clothing. The apron must be clean all the time. Kind of a reversal of the original apron.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 15

WOW!! Jean, What a complete reversal of the original apron!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 15

The only time I saw my gramma without her apron was when she went to church. And yeah, she used hers to gather eggs from her chickens, too! It was the kind that had a "bib" at the top and BIG pockets. I want some just like it. icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 15

What a fun gift that would make. I have an apron patern from the 40's and I have 2 old feed sacks. I think I will make an apron from them and add that message with it. My mother in law wore those aprons until she died 15 years ago....and yes, she did all of the above with her apron. There was always love in the air when you went to her house, I am thinking that apron had something to do with it.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 15

All my grandmothers and great grandmothers were incredible cooks and bakers and they all wore aprons. We have them somewhere in the family. I'll never forget one of my great grandmas - we never saw her in anything other than a dress, heels, pearls and a beautiful apron. In the coldest of winters and hottest of summers she was still dressed to the nines every day and always, always, always with an apron!

Great memories!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #10 of 15

Mommyle it is so ironic that you posted this. I had seen some really cute aprons in a gift shop that had sewn ribbon on them and little sayings on the front and thought that I might make both my daughter in laws one for Christmas, but then it hit me my sons do most of the cooking, well I guess I'll make the guys one but without the ribbons, my how times have changed. I can remember my granny and her apron just like it was yesterday. I think most of the pictures I have of her she's wearing her apron. Everytime I put mine on I get teary eyed. "Oh yes I wear one too". Can't wait til my granddaughters get big enough to start cooking, they will also have aprons. Thanks again for taking us down memory lane

diamond008 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #11 of 15

Mommyle it is so ironic that you posted this. I had seen some really cute aprons in a gift shop that had sewn ribbon on them and little sayings on the front and thought that I might make both my daughter in laws one for Christmas, but then it hit me my sons do most of the cooking, well I guess I'll make the guys one but without the ribbons, my how times have changed. I can remember my granny and her apron just like it was yesterday. I think most of the pictures I have of her she's wearing her apron. Everytime I put mine on I get teary eyed. "Oh yes I wear one too". Can't wait til my granddaughters get big enough to start cooking, they will also have aprons. Thanks again for taking us down memory lane

diamond008 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:05am
post #12 of 15

So sorry about the double post, sometimes it works sometimes it don't.

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 15

This really brings back childhood memories!!! My grandma always wore an apron and she pasted away in July. It is really funny how something so simple can bring back so many fond memories. I wish kids today could have memories like that but times are so different today than when I was a kid.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 15

I remember my Grams in an apron and love hiding underneath when I was little.
Thanks for sharing this and the memories it brought back.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 15

I was actually thinking of starting a vintage apron collection. I bought 2 at a local festival and I love them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%