How Long Is A Buttercream-Iced Cake Good For At Room Temp?

Decorating By jhutch04 Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 1:28am by kakeladi

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to a cake show on Saturday and I am icing it in buttercream. The cake will be at room temperature for around 8 hours. Will it still be ok to eat when I get home??? I would hate for a whole three-tiered cake to go to waste!!! HELP!!! icon_confused.gif

6 replies
jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 7

It depends a bit on what is in your buttercream. If it is powdered sugar and shortening based it will be fine even if it has some milk or cream in it. If it is a meringue buttercream most people would still say it is fine for that amount of time but I think by the technical rules it should not be left out more than four hours. HTH

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 7

We live in central Florida and make all of our buttercream out of 100% butter. We leave the cakes out on the counters for days and they taste just as fine as could be on day 5 or 6 as they did on day 1.

Paul & Peter

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #4 of 7

I was going to say 5 days, easy.

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 7

I'd think it'd be just fine for that amount of time, and yes... would hate to see the cake go to waste (grinning!) . You're in York? I'm in Lancaster! Where is your show?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I was going to say 5 days, easy.

ditto.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #7 of 7

My goodness how big a family do you have that you will eat a 3 tier wedding cake??????? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%