Make A White Cake Dairy Free?

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm by cupcakemkr

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 2

My DS's school requires that any baked items for birthday celebrations be nut free and accommodate any other allergies in the classroom. DS has a child with a dairy allergy. Also, things need to be baked at school. The school recommends the allergy friendly cake mixes.

My DS wants to make rainbow cake - a basic white cake that kids then mix small amounts of batter with food coloring and it all gets poured into a pan to be a rainbow colored cake. The cake needs to be white for the colors to work.

How can I take a scratch recipe for white cake and make it dairy free? Would substituting rice/soy milk work or just water? The allergy free cake mixes have a yellow cake, but not white.

Thanks.

1 reply
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 2

yes subing rice/soy milk will work. make sure there is no butter either - here is a vegan cake recipe that is very goo. If you can get to a library get teh vegan cupcakes take over the world book they have GREAT recipes you can use.

http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/Vegan+Cupcakes+Take+Over+the+World/Golden+Vanilla+Cupcakes

godd luck with your cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%