My First Gumpaste Roses!!!!

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 5:37am by lifonahil

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:58am
post #1 of 6

I'm so excited!!! I watched aine2's video on using a five petal cutter to make roses the other day, and, with my brother's wedding coming up, decided to try my hand at roses! (Future SIL would like red roses cascading down the side of a white cake, but thinks she's going to get fake flowers... And still may, if I don't get this right. Anyway. icon_wink.gif )

I got my cutter, got some foam from the scrapbook section of my local mega-store, made homemade gumpaste and used the back of a silicone coated baby spoon instead of the "ball tool" you're supposed to have. I didn't try very hard to get the COLOR right, because I figured I'd get the SHAPE down before doing much with COLOR. (I have some petal and luster dusts on the way, though! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif )

Tell me what you think! Constructive criticism would be appreciated as well, because I'd really like to get these down pat before the wedding (in May, so I have a LITTLE time to practice!)!

Thanks for sharing my excitement, this is the only place with people who might understand! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LL
LL

5 replies
KidMcWonder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KidMcWonder Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:08am
post #2 of 6

Those look great!
Good work! icon_razz.gif

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:21am
post #3 of 6

For the first time, these are absolutely stunning!!
I have tried to do roses for a while now, just can't seem to come right with them. Although I did make some buds for a wedding past Saturday and everybody was impressed with them.
Still want to try my hand at making a "full" rose.
Your use of the back of a spoon sounds interesting, might just give this a try and see if it works for me as I tend to just about break the fondant with the ball tool.

Yes, go ahead and make roses for your cake, you can do it!!

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:21am
post #4 of 6

Wow
For first time roses , they are awesome , my very first roses did not even resemble a rose
I will give you some tips , you can have a look at my roses and see that I have made a few in my time , firstly they need to be a little thinner , the thinner the icing the more realistic they look
and a little stiffer , let them dry a little before adding the next layer
other than that ,there is nothing I can see and I know you want to be perfect for your brothers cake , I love them and can just see the cake looking awesome with those roses cascading down the side
you have done a really great job

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:26am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

And thanks for the tips too, Suzy40! I was kinda wondering about letting them dry between layers, as the petals seemed to move a bit much, so I'll be sure to try that next time! Thinner is better... I'll see what I can do!

icon_biggrin.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:37am
post #6 of 6

Wow fantastic job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%