In Need Of A Good Topping/filling For Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By krispy1976 Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm by JaLa90016

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #1 of 11

What can I say I need help, does anyone have a dang good recipe or any ideas? I have a bride wanting the BEST RED VELVET CAKE!

Thanks Alot!

10 replies
jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:35am
post #2 of 11

No recipe off hand but I think most people pair cream cheese frosting with red velvet.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:35am
post #3 of 11

cream cheese buttercream or white chocolate buttercream

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:18am
post #4 of 11

Cream cheese frosting goes really well with it and the color contrast is nice, too. There are lots of good recipes on this site. There's also a crusting cream cheese frosting so you can smooth the cake and decorate if you want. Good luck.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 11

Nope- for true Red Velvet Cake, ya gotta have the traditional French Buttercreme!!

Its a cooked base of flour and milk, cooled, then blended with butter and granulated sugar: a soft-not too sweet frosting. Mmmmmm!

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 11

I'm in the cream cheese camp. I did boiled roux (aka Frech Buttercream, "whipped cream," etc.), and it's okay, but (a) it's not particularly stable at room temperature (learned that one the hard - or should I say soft? - way), and (b) I wasn't particularly impressed with it, especially since it's so much more trouble than cream cheese!

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 11

I usually have the creamcheese frosting requested but I prefer the traditional french buttercream the boiled flour kind when I make it for myself.

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 11

I was leaning tords the cream cheese frosting as well, but this is for a wedding in June tords the end of the month, outside in MN, may be very hot, and humd. would the french bc stand up outside if hot and humd?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 11

I'm in the cream cheese camp, too. If you are worried about it sitting in the heat, get some of the cheesecake flavored oil and flavor a heat-stable BC with it. That way it tastes like CC but is okay to sit out.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 11

I agree- my cooked base frosting is great, but it HATES heat and humidity!!! icon_cry.gif

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 11

I am in the cream cheese camp as well. I am making a red velvet cake this weekend too. I will be using the cream cheese frosing as a filling and frost it with the white chocolate buttercream frosting.

Good Luck with your cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%