Perfect Lettering Method On Fondant

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm by weirkd

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 26

Last night, I needed to pipe some words in a very specific font (think "got milk?") for a fondant cake I am making...and I was knocking myself out trying to figure out how to do it. Came up with a really clever idea. Don't know if it is new, I'm sure someone has tried it, but it sure is fool proof!

Printed out image (words to trace) from the computer.

Taped the paper to a glass tabletop

Rolled out a piece of fondant (gumpaste would probably work too) SUPER THIN, but not so thin that it tore or stretched when I moved it.

Placed the fondant on top of the paper with the image on it.

Put a bright flashlight under the table and turned the room lights down. The image showed through the fondant clear as day, and I was then able to "trace" the image with my piping gel perfectly!

Left the piece of fondant flat on the table untilit set up enough, trimmed around it very neatly with an exacto knife, and applied it to the cake!

Cool! thumbs_up.gif

25 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 26

Have you ever used Tappits? And a laser level?

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:34am
post #3 of 26

I love that idea! Especially for fonts that there is no tappit or cutter made.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 26

That's very cool Jamie! I use a somewhat similar technique when I do monograms on my cakes (in my pix there is a gold monogram I did on a cake done in a similar fashion, except it was colorflowed rather than cut out of fondant.) Thanks for sharing! (Although between you and me, I'm still a diehard tappit fan!) icon_lol.gif

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Have you ever used Tappits? And a laser level?

??? what are these???

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:03am
post #6 of 26

Here's a link to tappits http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=tappits&searchimage.x=11&searchimage.y=6 They are used to make fondant letters (and numbers.) If you look in my pix, at Edie's Shoe Cake, I did the writing on the board with tappits.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #7 of 26

Awesome idea!! And I think the point was that it was a specific font and thus no tappit for it. Tappits work if the font doesn't matter, and you can find a tappit style and size that you like. But for a logo or something like that, I love this idea!!!! Thanks soooo much for sharing!

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:32am
post #8 of 26

I love my "new" method! I have so many funky fonts downloaded from the internet into Word...and have tried to freehand many of them and always failed miserably! It almost looks like the words have their own little "frame" too....kinda cool.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 26

Great idea! I'm always wanting interesting fonts -- different than the ones that I have. Thanks for sharing your method!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 26

I couldn't find the Scrip uppercase tappits, are they not available?

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 26

FMM Alphabet Set -Script & Numbers Upper Case
Product ID #16675

At GSA, burt currently out of stock.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 26

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have tappit problems.

I bought these things thinking that they would be awesome, but I cant get the darn fondant out of them without goughing the heck out of them with an exacto or paring knife.

Whats the special trick to get the fondant to release?? I use MMF a lot, is that my problem?? Cause its stickier??

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 26

Lol...hijack away! I've been checking out those Tappits, they don't look like anything I would want to use.

leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #14 of 26

Tappits are FAB!

OK, here's the trick, but I don't use MMF, so you're on your own with that stuff.

Roll it really thin - number 4 on a pasta roller. If you're rolling by hand roll it until its really thin. Then roll it a little thinner. Now go do something else for 5 minutes and let it dry out on your counter. Then press your Tappit onto the fondant and whack/tap it on the counter and the shape pops out.

Took me a few attempts to figure out that the fondnat has to be DRY.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:51am
post #15 of 26

. . . necessity is the mother of invention (I bet this is how the first light table was invented . . . icon_lol.gif . . . maybe not for fondant though . . . )

This opens the door to many, MANY fonts and/or images . . . thumbs_up.gif

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:48am
post #16 of 26

What a fantastic idea! I've done similar things, but nothing so innovative! Thanks for sharing!

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:21am
post #17 of 26

What an awesome idea! Thankyou so much for sharing - I do a lot of work in fondant, and that would've made my daughter's 1st bday cake so much easier (I did a number one, and then individual cube-shaped cakes for each child attending, which I free-handed letters onto to represent alphabet building blocks.. I don't have photos unfortunately on this computer)

Though the tappits also sound worthwhile trying. does anyone know of anywhere in Sydney that I can get them? I've not seen them at any of the 3 shops near where I live (Sydney's north-west area. If you know Sydney at all, think Hills District)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:23am
post #18 of 26

thanks for this great idea! icon_smile.gif i love that i don't have to spend or buy anything. shipping to asia costs too much. thanks again for sharing!

__Jamie__ Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 26

My hubby said the same thing..It's like using a light table! I think I may order those Tappit's just to have a nice script font at my disposal. .

So I did it again last night with a motif. This time though I just traced the image with a toothpick so I could "paint" it later. Works pretty dang well!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #20 of 26

Leahs -- you always have all the answers. Thanks for the help about how to work with the tappits. And what kind of fondant do you use?

Thanks!!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm
post #21 of 26

with the tappits i find 50/50 or gumpaste works better than straight fondant, but it mi ght depend on which fondant you use.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:25pm
post #22 of 26

Leahs is so right. Those tappits are great!! I even use them on my buttercream cakes.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #23 of 26

took me a minute but.....................

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:47am
post #24 of 26

Speaking of Tappits, FMMSugarcraft is coming out with the lower case version of the funky alphabet set. I've been waiting for that as I don't like doing all caps when writing.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Tappits are FAB!

OK, here's the trick, but I don't use MMF, so you're on your own with that stuff.

Roll it really thin - number 4 on a pasta roller. If you're rolling by hand roll it until its really thin. Then roll it a little thinner. Now go do something else for 5 minutes and let it dry out on your counter. Then press your Tappit onto the fondant and whack/tap it on the counter and the shape pops out.

Took me a few attempts to figure out that the fondnat has to be DRY.

Thanks Leahs! I didnt know the fondant had to be dry...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #26 of 26

I use to have a gadget which was for tracing doll clothes I think, back in the 70's that was a similiar idea. A toy, I think it was called a Betsy McCall? But you plugged it in and the lights in it would allow you to trace whatever. We should market a new one for cakes!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%