Alcohol Vs. Non For Luster Dust

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 1:37am by jlsheik

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 16

I was in my cake shop the other day looking for some gold luster (see my "lucky's airbrush" post if you know where to find the stuff onlineicon_smile.gif) and the girl--who I know makes amazing cakes said that you shouldn't use vodka/everclear with pearldust because the alcohol will seep into the cake and cause the icing to be bitter.....

I worked at a place that always used vodka (cheap stuff at that!) and never heard of this. Also you all on CC seem to suggest it.

Has anyone ever received complaints because of it? Have any pro/cons? Any words of advice?

TIA

15 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 16

I have read here on cc that it is okay to use vodka as it evaporates so would not leave any residue/taste.

I use confectioners glaze it also evaporates!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 16

thanks... icon_smile.gif

also forgot about like lemon extract...

I have never had a problem with the vodka...so I will experiment.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 16

Anything with a low alcohol content will tend to seep into the buttercream, but if you are airbrushing with vodka or everclear (both of which have high alcohol contents), the alcohol will evaporate long before it has any chance to seep into the buttercream. Also you aren't using a lot of alcohol to airbrush the color on. It's not like you go over and over and over and over one spot. Lemon extract also has a high alcohol content but it does leave a weird aftertaste as opposed to clear alcohols. You can also drybrush if you so desire (in my pix I have several cakes with drybrushed roses on them) but that's a royal PIA to do -- very time consuming. Hope that helps answer your question! icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 16

thank you!

I have dry dustedbefore and it works nicely.

I am making a gold cake though... so I will be airbrushing the white BC gold.. I am going to use the Luck's brand.. I hope it works icon_smile.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 16

I have a small bottle of the cheapest vodka they sell which I use. No one has ever mentioned taste. I personally do not drink and I would probably notice if there was an alcohol taste. A funny story though, I also use almond extract for my buttercream and was making buttercream last week. I guess I grabbed the vodka instead of the almond extract--they're almost the same size. No one complained about that either!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 16

bettin.. haha!

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 16

Good day!

I use vodka and have never had a problem. My Daughter-in-Law laughs at me because I'm not a drinker and buy the 'airplane' sized bottles. She says that it looks like cake decorating drives me to drink!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 16

I use Everclear or vodka 100% of the time. It evaporates so fast that there's no time for it to seep in. You could use clear vanilla if you're worried about an aftertaste getting into your icing/fondant, but I've never had a problem with Everclear or even regular ole vodka.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 16

I guess my cake lady is wrong!

Thanks. I'll continue to use vodka when needed icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 16

Rocket---

I have also read on CC that it's the lemon extract that causes a taste difference, not the vodka or the everclear.

Are you a part of CAGO?

Paul (& Peter)

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 16

Paul..

thanks for that info. I am going to go with alcohol when needed... untill i get a complaint.

What is CAGO (obviously I have no idea what it is... so im not in it!)

--Rocket icon_smile.gif

Due I just realized you are from FL... hehe.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #13 of 16

First thought, is what are the ingredients in already mixed gold dust? Wonder what is the liquid in it?

And second thought was, is the Lucky's gold dust more expensive than the plain dusts? If so, the girl either doesn't realise she is giving out misinformation or she is doing it on purpose to get people to buy the more expensive item.

I can say I have used pearl/luster dust mixed with everclear on many cakes and have never had anyone tell me they can taste it, nor have I. What I love about everclear is that it pretty much evaporates in less than a minute. You can leave a small amount in a bowl and before you know it it will be gone. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #14 of 16

I tried the Lucky's and it was awful to work with. Sticky and too translucent. I wasted money on it, IMO. I'll keep using vodka, as I've never had a complaint, either!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #15 of 16

Rocket---

CAGO is the Confectionary Artists Guild of Orlando, the central Florida-based local cake group, a division of ICES (International Cake Exploration Societe'). We meet on the 2nd Monday of each month. In November, we're making gingerbread houses for an Orlando event on Sunday the 9th. PM me for more details.

Paul (& Peter)

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:37am
post #16 of 16

If it is not a big cake you can use PME luster spray. It is sooo pretty!!
I use Everclear...I have never had a complaint either.
But my teenagers think I'm hitting the sauce!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%