Don't Throw Away Those Great Old Metal Cookie Presses!!!!!!

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 2:17am by Cookies4kids

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 10

For years, I used one of those old metal cookie presses. You know the ones with the copper colored ends and the nice fat silver middle. I always grumbled a little because once in awhile the cookies dough wouldn't come out right. Well my daughter gave me a Michaels gift certificate and after seeing a review on how wonderful the Wilton Comfort Grip cookie press was, I gave mine to Goodwill and rushed out to buy the new one.
This year, I am making tons of spritz cookies for packaging for my fundraisers and have 14 batches of dough already made. I was really excited to try the new press so gave it a little test run. I could have just cried!!!!! New is usually not better these days, and I rushed to Goodwill to see it I could buy my "wonderful" old cookie press back. Of course it was gone so now I have to wait for summer garage sales to get one again.
The cookies do not come out clean at all. They have little knobs and points on them and they just don't look nice at all. This is the same dough recipes I have always used, so I know it's not that. I also think that the protion that comes out for each cookie is too small and you have no way to control that like with the "wonderful" (sniff sniff) old ones.
Anyone else having problems or can you offer some tips on what I might be doing wrong???

9 replies
mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 10

lilybird,

I feel your pain! I too have tried the Wilton one and hated it! I also tried one from Pampered Chef, a Sesame Street one and various others and they are just not the same. Luckily I can never get rid of anything belonging to my Grandma (I only have a few things of hers) so I still have my old school one to use!

I think what I didn't like is what you mentioned - you can't control the amount of dough that comes out. You can click once or you can click twice- which is always too thin or too thick for me!

I found some on ebay. Here's a link to one - there are a lot more too!
http://cgi.ebay.com/17-Piece-Mirro-Cookie-Press-Cake-Decorating-Press_W0QQitemZ110303700256QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110303700256&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 10

My mom just gave me an old metal one, and I was going to pitch it. I think I'll keep it now! Do you have a good recipe to use with it that you'd like to share?

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:

that is neat. I have never seen those before!

Cookies4kids Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 10

mj--thanks for the links.

jen----I was searching the web for spritz recipes and came across the neatest site for cookies. There is a special spritz section and I have tried several of them already. I like the site because the recipes are reviewed which makes it helpful to know how people liked the cookies.

Here it is Christmas-cookies.com

RAGDOLLCATS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RAGDOLLCATS Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 10

BETTER HANG ONTO THAT COOKIE PRESS AND USE THE PLATES FOR COOKIE STENCILS INPLACE OF THE PLASTIC ONES.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:34am
post #7 of 10

Sorry about that lilybird! I heard good things from a few people about the Wilton one, I have it but have not used it yet. It might not be too soon but before Christmas so when I do, I will try to remember you and see what I can do to help, if anything.

My sister bought me a SAWA (not sure if it's supposed to be all caps) gun years ago. It has more shapes/discs than any other gun I've seen and it has sentimental value so I will keep it anyway despite the new Wilton one. It was getting a little worn. It's a Swedish gun, I am not sure where she got it but maybe you would have better luck with a European press?

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:40am
post #8 of 10

lilybird, have you managed to find another old press? If I look around here hard enough, I might be able to find and extra one. Pm your address and I will send it out. icon_lol.gif
I have one that is battery operated that i want to try. but I haven't gotten rid of old reliable. thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:02am
post #9 of 10

While I do have an old metal cookie press, my favorite one is still the Presto Super Shooter. No longer made, I managed to find one on eBay early this year, along with the accessory set. I used to knock out dozens of cookies with no strain to my hands, and can't wait to break this one out at winter holiday time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:17am
post #10 of 10

Thanks to everyone who offered to send me another cookies press. I received one in the mail today from a wonderful ladie here on CC. The set actually has a design plate that my old one didn't have, so that's a fun bonus.
Thanks again and happy baking!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%