I'm Just Wondering...

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm by maimai16

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 11

what would be the end result if i use brown sugar in a cake if it calls for a gran sugar? in cookies, they say it makes the cookie soft, do you think it would have the same effect on chocolate cake?

10 replies
dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 11

I would think it would enhance the flavor a bit. I might have to try that one!!

maimai16 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 11

so, do i need to adjust the qty of brown sugar? some says brown sugar is more sweeter than gran sugar...

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #4 of 11

I found this through a search engine, hope it helps.

So there are some standard formulas you'll want to remember.

For approximately 1 unit of standard sugar syrup: mix 1 unit granulated sugar with 1/2 unit water, heat until it just boils (at which point the sugar will be all dissolved), and cool.
To substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar: mix 3/4 unit brown sugar with 1/2 unit granulated sugar for each unit of pure granulated sugar; or substitute pure brown sugar 1 to 1 for granulated white sugar.
To substitute honey for sugar syrup: use 1 to 1-1/4 units honey for each unit of syrup.
To substitute corn syrup for sugar or syrup: 2 units corn syrup equals 1 unit granulated sugar (I saw it recommended not to use corn syrup to replace more than half the amount of sugar a recipe calls for).
To substitute maple syrup: 3/4 units maple syrup equals 1 unit granulated sugar.
To substitute molasses: 1 unit molasses equals 3/4 units granulated sugar (should replace no more than half the sugar in a recipe).

maimai16 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 11

rvercher23, have you tried it? i'm also looking for the effect of brown sugar on the cake... do you think it will be moist-eir if i'll use brown sugar?

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:26am
post #6 of 11

I think it will be more moist. I used brown sugar in my mint chocolate cake recipe, and it is so moist and yummy!

maimai16 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:25am
post #7 of 11

hmmm. thanks rvercher23... i'm going to try this tonight... icon_biggrin.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:58am
post #8 of 11

Off the top of my head, (don't have the book in front of me), I believe I tried Collette Peter's white cake made with brown sugar and it was extremely good and moist.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:59am
post #9 of 11

I quite often add raw/golden caster sugar to my Chocolate mud cake (either replacing all or half of the total sugar). It makes it slightly richer and more moist - also tastes a bit like caramel. Definitely a good result. I haven't tried with brown sugar, think it may be too much to replace all the sugar. However there is only one way to find out! Let us know how it goes if you try it!
I would keep the amount of sugar the same as changing it could change the consistency of the cake.

maimai16 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 11

i already baked my chocolate cake using all brown sugar... it was super moist... though it took longer to bake... all in all, there's nothing to fuss if youre going to use all brown sugar on chocolate cakes... icon_biggrin.gif

maimai16 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 11

thanks again everyone for the inputs icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%