Best Uses For Different Bc's

Baking By Stina Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm by mandysue

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 5

Okay there is decorator BC, IMBC, SMBC and French BC (and that's just the tip of the iceberg). Specifically speaking about these top four though, are different BC's better for different purposes or does it all just come down to what they taste like? Thanks for any info. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #2 of 5

yes, it does go beyond taste but it still is a matter of personal preference. I like SMBC but feel a bit limited in the piping ability of it. I can do it but it just seems easier to me with powdered sugar or decorator buttercream. Then there is the cost issue along with not having refrigerater space to keep it cold and being afraid it will start to melt during a delivery.

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

As I live in Britain and we use mainly fondant with a buttercream made from scratch as a filling I would like to know what all the terms mean if someone would be so kind. I struggle a little understanding some of the letter abbreviations posted in the recipes and forums. Thankyou for taking the trouble to read and reply if possible

sarahbasile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbasile Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 5

Gales, I'm with you! I'm a newbie, too, and have NO idea what these abbreviations mean! I just found a website that talks about both IMBC and SMBC, so here's the link!

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_buttercream.htm

I know, it is a LONG page, but the info you are looking for is about 3/4 of the way down. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 5

if you do a search on this site for abbreviations, you should come up with a listing. i just did this the other day and it was very enlightening!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%