How Can I Make A Corgi Dog Cake?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm by Chellescakes

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 9

I've been asked to make a Pembrooke Welsh Corgi cake (hope I spelled all that right). I think I can use the Wilton lamb pan to get the basic shape, but then I'm not really sure what to do. The lamb pan says it serves 12 exactly - which is the exact number of servings she requested....

If anyone has any ideas, I would sure appreciate them! I've attached a picture of a corgi I found online.
LL

8 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 9

you could alter this tutorial...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608292.html

make the body out of an 1/8 sheet... make the legs lower and spread them out....

maybe?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 9

I think the lamb pan is a good place to start. For the ears, I'd make them ahead of time in fondant to match the fondant you'll use for the rest of the coat, OR I'd make them out of gumpaste and then ice them if you were to cover it in buttercream like I normally do with dogs. (Dog cakes, I mean. LOL)

This is going to be a really cute cake. Post a pic when you get it done!

Deanna

imartsy Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 9

Wow that is a cool pinata cake. Thanks for showing me the link - I hadn't seen that yet.

I think I'm on a much smaller scale though...and I think I'm going to try to make the dog laying down, not standing up - I'm not so good with the whole drilling and support system stuff. Wish I had someone handy in my family to do it or to teach me, but I don't. Maybe one day I'll get to learn all that fancy supportin' stuff, but for now, I think I'll try to keep it a little simpler icon_smile.gif

Still - thanks for the link. It's something to aspire to!

imartsy Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #5 of 9

any other tips or ideas? do you think i should charge for 12 servings, or will i need more cake? I think i will be doing buttercream and not fondant.

imartsy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 9

Just thought I'd try to bring this up again in case anyone has any ideas about whether the lamb pan will provide enough servings - or if I'll need to carve. I'm a little concerned about the dog's nose too -how to extend it - any ideas?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #7 of 9

I think you could get 12 servings out of the lamb pan. If you need more cake, if it were me, I'd make the dog a bone or a ball to play with and have it next to the dog. You could cut the bottom off an ice cream cone and use that to extend the nose if you wanted to.

Deanna

imartsy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #8 of 9

Ooh ice cream cone! Great idea!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 9

I can't wait to see what you come up with , I have bred and shown, pembrokes for 15 years, I did a wedding cake for my Aunt with a bride and groom corgi on it,( It is in my pictures )and also Christmas cakes with a corgi head on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%