Cake Pulls???

Decorating By 2kiddos Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 1:56am by jjkarm

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake for Saturday, and the bride is providing cake pulls. This is a new thing for me... I had never heard of them until about a year ago, and I've never used them on a cake.
Question... do they just get inserted into the icing, with the ribbons hanging out?

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 12

That's the way. Use a spatula to shove the charm end under the cake. Border over the ribbon.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 12

what is a cake pull?

leah_s Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 12

A charm on a ribbon.

dogluvr Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 12

does someone have a picture of a cake with cake pulls.....I'm not seeing it!!!!

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #6 of 12

The charms are shoved under the bottom of the cake.
LL

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #7 of 12

I hate to beat a dead horse but..... I've never seen these charms before. Is there a reason this is done? Is it just for looks, or does someone actually pull them out before the cake is served? I'm confused icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Someone please enlighten me!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 12

It's an old tradition that's making a comeback.

From the Wedding Chronicle:

Wedding Cake Charms

The nostalgic, Victorian custom of wedding cake charms and the ribbon pulling ceremony is making a comeback and helping to revive gentle, symbolic charm in bridal celebrations.

These tiny treasures are hidden (usually by the baker) under the bottom layer of the brideâs cake with only satin ribbon and bows streaming delicately from underneath the perimeter of the cake.

During the reception, before the cake is cut, members of the wedding party, bridesmaids, children of the bride and groom, or even the parents gather around the cake. Each person will pull a charm which holds the promise of the bride and groomâs future. Each charm has a special meaning written on the ribbon and the master of ceremonies can read what is being wished for the newlyweds. Also, at some weddings the charmâs meaning is wished for the bridesmaid who pulled it.

Each charm can foretell the future. Traditionally there were six charms:

1. The Heart â Love will come.
2. The Clover â Good Luck.
3. The Engagement Ring â Next to marry.
4. The Anchor â Adventure awaits.
5. The Flower â Love will bloom.
6. The Horseshoe â Lucky in life.

Today, as wedding charms become popular again, and, presumably since the bride has more than six women who are dear to her, other charms have been created.

1. The Wreath â A happy home.
2. The High Chair â Blessed with children.
3. The Rocking Chair â Longevity.
4. The Airplane â Travel and adventure.
5. The Satchel â Good Fortune
6. The Mirror â A happy life.

These wedding cake pulls can also be used at a shower or bridal luncheon. Either time â reception or shower â presents a wonderful photo opportunity.

Since most wedding charms come in sterling silver, your bridesmaids can wear them on their charm bracelets or as a pendant after the wedding. Wedding cake charms are available in most bridal merchandise and invitation stores.

dogluvr Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #9 of 12

Now I understand........thank you PinkZiab for the explanation. I never heard of this before.......

jjkarm Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #10 of 12

Wow!!! icon_eek.gif What a great tradition. It sounds like such a fun thing to do, and it's also something everyone can be involved in. Plus the bride can wear the charms on a bracelet......perfect!! Thanks PinkZiab for taking the time to give such a great explanation. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #11 of 12

I also did another version of this for a boy's 16th birthday party. I put different color ribbons under the cake, but everyone was in on it that the birthday boy had to pull the blue ribbon.

The blue ribbon was attached to a car key. For his new (used) car.

jjkarm Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #12 of 12

Oh my heck!...this just keeps getting better and better! icon_lol.gif

Thanks leahs for another great example. It sounds like you can adapt this idea to about any occasion. How fun! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%