No!! I Am Not Bringing A Cake!!!

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 2:31am by texasbelle

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 17

I was asked to bring a cake ("We'll give you money for it") for a doctor who is retiring. Cake is not my full time biz, so that is fine.

Two weeks ago, the same person told me that they decided to buy one at Walmart.

Slightly offended, but whatever.

TODAY..."Susan, what kind of cake are you making?"

Uh..no kind. Not gonna do it.

16 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 17

I just looked at your cakes and boy did they make a mistake. Your cakes are great.

They definitely messed up on this one. Dry flat walmart cake.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 17

Good for you. The Cake gods were mortally offended by the woman's declaration that they would be getting a WM cake. You are good to appease the Cake gods and not give in to their obvious idiocy.

No cake for them!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 17

Honestly (and I will only admit this on CC) I do get minorly offended when they go to Walmart instead...

Another coworker in the office (I did her Wedding cake icon_confused.gif ) offered to bring a cheesecake instead--and then asked me if she could borrow a springform pan, get a recipe and use a can of pumpkin--if I had one.

Jeez.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 17

I honestly think some people only use their heads as hat racks.....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 17

Them "What are you bringing?"

Me "What did you buy?"

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 17

terrylee,

That was the funniest thing I've heard all week. Im gonna use that statement on my (he wears a hat everyday) husband the next time he does something stupid (which is everyday).
Pam

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Another coworker in the office (I did her Wedding cake ) offered to bring a cheesecake instead--and then asked me if she could borrow a springform pan, get a recipe and use a can of pumpkin--if I had one.

I don't know... I think it might be that the second offense is worse than the first! Then the other coworker takes credit for the cheesecake!

Holy cow, time to get new co-workers! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 17

I recently did a big cookie order for an event. BIG cookie order. Then me and two of my girls worked the event. One of the organizers told me that ".....last year, we did all the cookies ourselves."

My eyes got big as pie plates and I said, "Oh my goodnes, that must have taken you forever to bake all of those!" (we're talking over 1500 cookies here!)

She said ..... I swear, I'm not making this up ..... she said, "Oh we didn't make 'em .... we called (local grocery store bakery ... not the W one) and ordered them."

I'm sorry .... I must have missed the "we did the cookies ourselves" part??? PIcking up the phone and calling in an order is now the same as "we did the cookies ourselves"????? icon_eek.gif

Yeah....definitely a hat-rack situation here!

lovelytee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelytee Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 17

yeah, I know what you mean. I am always asked by family members and their friends: " I need you (not can you) to make a cake for..." I never hear I will give you some money at least for the ingredients. Can they go to the bakery and tell them to bake them a cake for free? Or can you go to the supermarket and not pay for the ingredients? I don't think so. We need to get the respect that we deserve even a newbie like me icon_lol.gif

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 17

wow...I would be a little offended (maybe not a little) too. I am lucky enough not to have people ask for cakes like I am can blink and make one appear. Some people can be so rude and offensive and not even realize!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 17

I get a little offended myself when my co-workers (part-time job) end up getting a Wal-Mart cake instead of asking me to make one.

I bring in leftovers that I make with leftover batter sometimes, and they all rave about how delish they are, blah blah, and how they want to order cakes from me, and they even have me bring in my portfoilio books so that way they can see designs. Then they go and order a Walmart cake. Even after I offer the special friends discount! I just dont get it!

I swear I cannot eat Walmart cake anymore, the taste just makes me gag a little. Its so medicinal tasting, and its greasy. *shudders* They all ask all the time why I never eat the Walmart stuff. I just shrug and say, "Cause its kinda gross."

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #13 of 17

Yeah, people sure baffle me sometimes.

I made 3 gift box cakes for church on Sun. Not nearly as many people showed up for the special coffee hour as had been expected, so I had serious leftovers. I wrapped them and decided to take them to my bowling league today. Several people also arrived with cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, and grocery store mini cupcakes (they make me gag, so I chucked mine discreetly...).

Now the baffling part:

As I'm setting out freshly cut, generous pieces of pumpkin cake with cheesecake filling and chocolate brownie cake with ginger caramel filling, someone sets down a box of day old donuts.

Guess what wound up sitting on the counter and what got scarffed up like a gourmet meal.........yep, those damn donuts FLEW out of the box and the pieces of cake sat...and sat...and sat.

I give up......
Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

As I'm setting out freshly cut, generous pieces of pumpkin cake with cheesecake filling and chocolate brownie cake with ginger caramel filling.....

icon_redface.gif I probably would have been a donut person ... I don't eat pumpkin, I detest cheesecake, and anything with ginger in it causes me to do the sign of the cross and back out of the room. icon_redface.gif Now if you had a white cake with choc fudge filling ..... outta my way, folks, I have a fork in my hand and I"m not afraid to use it! icon_lol.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #15 of 17

OMG... you guys are hysterical... My husband is guilty of being a hat rack sometimes too at least now I know there's a term for it icon_biggrin.gif My family is flaky, they never offer to pay me for cakes but they won't eat anyone else's cakes either. My sister actually works at a very upscale bakery and I keep asking her to bring a cake home for a family dinner, I want to try it.. Honestly I really do! I have never had a cake that wasn't either home made by someone or purchased at a grocery store type chain and I'm curious. She refuses to bring one home, "we like your cakes more" I swear they're partonizing me sometimes or the more likely scenario is that my cake is free ...

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #16 of 17

LOL So true!!!!!!! I think we are critiqued more than a store!! Often times people don't realize that some of the big name stores receive there cakes frozen and sometimes pre-frosted!! And lets not talk about a famous frozen cake or pie company in the suppermarket no one has a problem with that. But, if I suggest they pick up a cake a day b4 the, event they say no they want a "fresh cake."
My hope with all those cake decorating shows on TV that or customers realize that for a large cake it is impossible to do it all in 1 day especially if u work fulltime. Arghhh!!!!!!!!

texasbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbelle Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:31am
post #17 of 17

I did a baby shower cake for my cousin's shower Sunday. There were a lot of wealthy and I mean wealthy ( I know these people) at the shower. They asked my aunt....Is she expensive? I'm thinking WHAT...you have a Louis Vuitton purse, drive a Mercedes, and want a Wal Mart cake I suppose?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%