Advice On What To Charge For Cookies..

Baking By momtoabby Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 5:48pm by momtoabby

momtoabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtoabby Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone!

I need some help on what I should charge for my first cookie order I received today! I am so excited and what to give a fair estimate. It is for 3 dozen "balloon" cookies for a 3 year olds birthday. I am so thrilled and excited.

If anyone might be able to give me some ideas, I would REALLY appreciate it!!

Thank you,
Dana

7 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 8

You'll find that the typical response you're going to get is to charge $1 per inch. So if the cookie is 3", it's $3.00 (more if you're bagging and tagging them). I doubt I would ever get that much for cookies in my area, though. It will give you a place to start.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 8

Dana, where are you located? I ask because usually when this question comes up, I do a search to see how close a Cookies By Design is to the person asking the question. If there is one within an hour's drive, then there is a market for cookies at that price. If there are none close to you, then I say that puts you in the drivers seat as far as the "supply-n-demand" rule goes! thumbs_up.gif

I had a lady ordered a 20-cookie bouquet for a meeting. Everyone loved it ... until she told them the price. When she gave me that feedback, I told her, "Next time you get together, tell them that I'm 20% cheaper than that nat'l chain place. AND they charge you for certain containers and for delivery." icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes you just gotta put it in perspective.

momtoabby Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both very much for your input. I am located in Rock Hill, SC and am certain the few cake shops we have do not sell "decorated" cookies. I am going to sit down and add up what my ingredients will cost and then maybe add about $ 10.00 or so extra for my time.

Thanks again!
Dana

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoabby

Thank you both very much for your input. I am located in Rock Hill, SC and am certain the few cake shops we have do not sell "decorated" cookies. I am going to sit down and add up what my ingredients will cost and then maybe add about $ 10.00 or so extra for my time.

Thanks again!
Dana

Only $10 profit off 36 cookies? Definitely not enough! You're looking at multiple hours of baking and decorating time. Divide that by your $10, and your working for pennies! Please re-think this so that you make at least minimum wage!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

Thanks again!
Dana

So you can crank out 36 cookies in like 10 minutes?? icon_confused.gif

Ten bucks? You ARE kidding, right? icon_eek.gif

The "cost" of your product is NOT just the cost of ingredients and that's what I see so many people doing wrong when they try to battle the pricing game (that we all hate doing, by the way).

The dog-bone cookies ( http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1252765 ) .... I did 100 of these in about 3 hours.

The Hello Kitty Cookies ( http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1255000 ) took me 5 hours to do 50 cookies!

According to my costing charts that I keep, I can make about a dozen NFSC (depending on size and shape of course) for around $1 to $1.50. Under your logic, you would sell 12 cutout, shaped, iced cookies for $1.50 ingredient cost plus $10 labor .... $11.50 total.

If you made 36 cookies ..... Cost of $4.50 plus $10 labor = $14.50 ..... that's 40 cents a cookie.

So as I said ..... You ARE kidding, right? icon_confused.gif

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thanks again!
Dana

Dana - I am in Mooresville! We should talk. Maybe we can help eachother out businesswise! I can get about $3 a cookie up here, depending on clientele, sometimes it's $2. I have a baby shower next month and am doing 3 dozen for $80.00 (that is my discount price too!)

In Rock Hill I wouldn't go less than $2 a 4" wrapped cookie. They are WAY more expensive online and in other places. People round here won't pay $5 or $6 though. They will pay $2 or $3.

Girl... this stuff takes TIME and CREATIVITY! JMO

Congratulations on your first order! PM me if I can help you out with anything!
icon_biggrin.gif

momtoabby Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 8

Wow! Thanks everyone. I won't even disclose what I am charging now because I do realize it's far less than what I should charge. The reason I chose to charge her what I did was because I am not a professional decorator and (up until now) have just done a few boquets and cakes and given them away.

I now have an idea on what to charge for the future. Thanks again!
Dana

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%