My Kitchenaid Horror Story...( Longish)

Decorating By snarkybaker Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 2:05am by mkolmar

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #31 of 39

I certainly wish I had read this before I broke down and got a KA 6-qt Pro on eBay. Can't send that baby back now, can I? I haven't even taken it out of the box .... icon_sad.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Gosh, with that kind of volume requirement and $ outlay, I think I'd go buy this and be done with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-20-Quart-Countertop-Mixer-Model-A-200_W0QQitemZ220299040504QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220299040504&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have a KA 6 qt. Pro, but it doesn't get really heavy use.

Rae

I actually have a hobart 12 qt and a 20 qt mixer for bigger jobs, but for mixing up smaller batches of flavored buttercreams etc. I need the smaller mixer.

If nothing else the Cuisinart is only $50 more and has a three year rather than a one year waranty.

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #33 of 39

WOW. I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a problem. All three of my machines are from the Kitchen Aid store in Greenville, Oh. I used to live near there and bought all my machines refirbs in the basement outlet. (the pro 6 and 600 machines are only $230) I've never had a problem with one of them, going on a decade or more with one, and 5 years with another.

The ONLY problem I had was with an enamel beater that lost a huge chunch of enamel at some point of making icing. I found out during clean-up that somewhere, on top of one of 400 iced and decorated brownies, was a piece of sharp enamel.

Cutomer service has also always been great. Although, knowing most by name and face has helped a lot.

Hope it gets worked out for you.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #34 of 39

Yes, I have the 5 qt Viking, got it on ebay and even with shipping it was around $300...and new. I love it, it's a workhorse...The only problem I have with it is sometimes the paddle doesn't lock in place well, so if I'm scraping down the dough from the paddle, sometimes it just slides right out if I'm not careful. I bought a second paddle so I could test to see if it was just a problem with that particular paddle, or with the mixer...but haven't tested it yet, lol.

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #35 of 39

Man am I glad I read this thread. When I was going to cake class about a year and a half ago my husband went to walmart and bought me a Sunbeam mixer because the hand mixer just wasn't cutting it. At the time it was what we could afford and before making a large purchase we wanted to see if I was going to stick with it. Well I stuck with it and love it. I have had no problems at all with my Sunbeam, but I figure it can only take so much. So for Christmas my husband is planning on getting me a KA 600. But now I'm not so sure that is what I should get. I do know that we cant afford to go get a new one every 6 months, that's to expensive. I need help now with what I should get. Anyone ever NOT have any problems with their new model KA's?

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #36 of 39

wow. And I keep drooling over the mixers.

(Probably because I'm stuck doing everything by hand. Fondant is the absolute worst.)

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #37 of 39

This might seem weird, but I got my first KA at an estate sale for $12. It lasted for about 5 years a until I got my new one -that's the 40 year old one. I gave the really old one to a friend, and she used it heavily for about 4 more years before it died. So look around at estate sales or auctions, but make sure that it is Hobart made. You may be able to find one of the old ones.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

This might seem weird, but I got my first KA at an estate sale for $12. It lasted for about 5 years a until I got my new one -that's the 40 year old one. I gave the really old one to a friend, and she used it heavily for about 4 more years before it died. So look around at estate sales or auctions, but make sure that it is Hobart made. You may be able to find one of the old ones.

The old ones are made like tanks. I have two that are more than 20 years old. The trouble is that the bowls are really to small to be of any use.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #39 of 39

I have an older 4 QT one made by Hobart and a newer 5 QT. KA. I love the older one and use it a lot more than the newer one. It doesn't hold as much but the new one just isn't made the same and it's obvious. The 5 Qt. head bobs slightly up and down when in use and makes a weird clicking noise. My old one is like a rock though.

If I could I would buy a big ol' Hobart or Viking, but that's just because I drool over them and would love to do big batches instead of little ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%