Flooding W/o Outline

Baking By SueW Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 11:30pm by indydebi

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #1 of 6

To this point I have only outlined my cookies then flooded with a thinned RI. I am getting tired of the outlined look and would love to try to just flood. I have read it is possible and seen beautiful pictures, does anyone have tips for me? I just don't see how the icing doesn't fun all over the sides of the cookies. Thanks so much.

SueW

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:33am
post #2 of 6

First, I ice the back of the cookie. This gives me a perfectly flat surface to work on ... no slopey edges for the icing to flow over. (Saw that a bakery iced the back of their cookies and thought it was a pretty cool idea!)

Here are a couple of pics of cookies I've done. I still do an outline ... but the icing consistency is such that it "melts" right into itself when I add the inside icing.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1252765
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1255000

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 6

I rarely if ever outline a cookie. The trick is to get your icing consistency just right. If you have the icing too thin, be willing to put it back in the bowl, add some more sugar or more stiff royal to bring it to a thicker consistency, and then re-bag it and start again. Once you get the feel for it, you won't have a problem.

Deanna

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 6

I use icing the consistency of white school glue, or a bit thicker. I use a #4 tip for large areas, #2 tip for smaller areas. I outline the area and then immediately fill in with more icing in a zig zag pattern. I then use an offset spatula to smooth out the icing. This also helps break any hidden air bubbles. If I want the design outlined, I go back after the icing has set and use a thickened icing to do the outlining with a #1 or #1s tip.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips. I think part of my problem too is that I outline all the cookies first then a while later go back and flood. A lot of people are saying flood right away, does that make a difference?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

Thanks for the tips. I think part of my problem too is that I outline all the cookies first then a while later go back and flood. A lot of people are saying flood right away, does that make a difference?

Yes, because the outline you're doing first has a chance to harden, so the flooding icing can't "melt" into it. When you outline then fill in right away, the flooding icing and the outline icing and meld together into one smooth surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%