Hersheys Cc Baking Powder

Baking By snns Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 5:36am by JanH

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 5

Hello CC friends..
ok I've not done many cupcakes but would like to do so...I'm trying to do Hersheys Choco Cake recipe into Cup cakes ..is it ok...?OK here is my doubt..In this recipe Boiling H2O used..My concern is would Baking powder action be done if the batter is kept out side for a while cos I can't make the whole recipe at once it will take 3-4 batches..or should I do half the recipe at once...
One more ques..how many cupcake can one make from one calling of this recipe..?
pls thank u for all your responses....this is for an order tomorrow hence responses are helpful.

4 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #2 of 5

I usually get about 30 cupcakes out of that recipe but I've never had luck with it, it always sinks in the middle. I use that recipe for chocolate cake and I love it, it's just never worked as a cupcake for me. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them too. I don't open the door, I've got the temperature right...no clue what causes them to sink as soon as they come out of the oven.

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:50am
post #3 of 5

thanx Stephanie...
anyone else pls.......

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 5

I've had no problem making cupcakes with the Hershey's recipe. When I've baked in multiple batches the later ones, for which the batter has rested a while, get a higher dome than the ones that went straight into the oven.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:36am
post #5 of 5

If using double action baking powder (the most common type for home use in the U.S.) there's no problem not baking all the batter into cake/s or cupcakes at once.

The baking powder is first activated by the hot water/mixing and then again by the ovens heat during baking.

Read an interesting article by Rose Levy Beranbaum recommending the use of either cake or bleached flour for baking - NOT unbleached as this caused sinking when the cake cooled.

Here's the article:
(Have to scroll down....)

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%