White Chocolate Frosting

Decorating By 1of5wives Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm by moufette

1of5wives Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1of5wives Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 5

I TRIED to make a white chocolate frosting. (melt 1lb white chocolate in 1 cup of near boiled whipping cream, cool add 1 cup Whipped cream) my result....chocolate soup.... what did I do wrong????? It seemed so simple.

4 replies
zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 5

Where did you get that recipe?

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 5

Hi there!

Here are two recipes that I've used. I got them from FoodTV.ca
They are both pretty soft so they should be used as a filling and crumb coat. Make sure that you refrigerate the cakes after icing. The first recipe is sweeter than the second one and you can taste the honey. In a pinch, I've just added melted and cooled white chocolate to my regular buttercream recipe (butter, Crisco, icing sugar, flavouring and milk), and it's turned out ok. It's more durable than these recipes but not as 'refined'.

White Chocolate Buttercream #1
4 eggs
1 sugar
6 tbsp water
4 tbsp honey
2 cups unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
8 oz white chocolate, melted and partially cooled
Break the eggs into a large bowl. Set aside.
In a saucepan, bring the sugar,water and honey to a boil. Simmer until a candy thermometer reads 117°C (242°F), about 5 minutes.
With an electric mixer running at medium speed, beat the eggs until frothy.
While beating, add the hot syrup in a thin stream, being careful not to pour it on the beaters. Beat until the mixture has completely cooled, about 10 minutes.
Add the butter, 1 or 2 pieces at a time, beating until the buttercream is very thick. Add the tempered chocolate, beating until combined.

White Chocolate Buttercream #2

2 cups (500 mL) unsalted butter at room temperature

16 ounces (450 g) good quality white chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature

2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar, sifted

2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract

1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt

In a stand-up mixer or in a large bowl with electric beaters, beat butter until fluffy. Beat in cooled melted chocolate on medium speed. Reduce speed and beat in icing sugar, vanilla and salt (icing will be a little soft). Chill for about an hour to set before using. Icing can be made ahead and chilled for up to a week, or wrapped and frozen up to a month (thaw refrigerated).

Cheers!

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 5

For the White Chocolate Buttercream, it should be 2 pounds of sugar, not 2 cups. At least that's my recipe. I can't imagine 2 cups would make it thick enough.

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Beth
It really is 2 cups. Like I said it is a soft icing. You could definitely add more icing sugar to stiffen it up, but then it's more like a regular buttercream with white chocolate flavour.
Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%