Classes Beyond Basic Wilton.

Decorating By forthwife Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 5:59am by Chippi

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 8

After having completed all Wilton classes, if I want to progress to the *Superstar* level, is it advisable to take Nicholas Lodge or Colette Peters' classes? I'm in Orlando, and Colette comes to town a few times a year but her classes are $850!!! I can make a WHOLE lot of practice cakes for that. I just would love to learn new and better techniques (since I am primarily self taught, who knows if I'm doing stuff the easiest/right way?). Are there other options? Thanks!!!

7 replies
trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 8

I went to a cake show last year which was a local clubs show. They had quite a few demonstrations that I learned a lot from. I also learn a lot from books. Look at local cake stores (not Michaels, AC moore, etc) - they usually will offer classes or at least know where you can take classes. Sometimes, you can call a baker in the area that you know and they will give you classes for a reasonable fee. I hope I gave you some ideas.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 8

Nic's arent exactly cheap either....but....well worth it.
Watch for special weekend times where they give one day classes. Much less expensive and you do learn alot.

I still say, get SugarShack's and Jennifer Dotz's DVDs. You can't go wrong.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8

Don't forget that Nic Lodge has excellent DVDs that are very reasonably priced. You get about an hour of instruction for $30 or so. Also, check out Florida ICES mini classes in January - excellent opportunities to learn a lot of techniques for a reasonable price.
http://flices.org/FL%20ICES%20newsletter-Fall%202008.pdf

mandy711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy711 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:12am
post #5 of 8

YOU TUBE, YOU TUBE, YOU TUBE!!! JUST TYPE IN WHAT YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT!! ITS GREAT!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #6 of 8

Sugar Shack's videos ( solved most of my problems ), You tube and practice, practice, practice. I've only taken the Wilton I class. I'm no pro by any means but I just learned to try new things and see how they come out. If i'm ever having a problem I just ask CC'ers.

Don't be afraid to attempt something on your own. You might surprise yourself. With time start taking the more expensive classes.

Good luck !

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! I do watch a lot of youtube. Any favorite video suggestions?

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:59am
post #8 of 8

Edna, Edna, Ednaaaaa icon_smile.gif She's great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%