Decorating By momma28 Updated 19 Jun 2014 , 3:36pm by 2txmedics

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #121 of 155

What is the 20% off coupon?

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:44pm
post #122 of 155

I bought the Aztek @ Hobby Lobby w/a coupon and then bought the central pneumatic compressor w/30 PSI from Harbour Freight's website...haven't tried either of them yet, I'm still trying to find the piece that is needed to adapt/convert or whatever so they'll work together!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #123 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

I bought the Aztek @ Hobby Lobby w/a coupon and then bought the central pneumatic compressor w/30 PSI from Harbour Freight's website...haven't tried either of them yet, I'm still trying to find the piece that is needed to adapt/convert or whatever so they'll work together!

Not sure what adapter you need but Roland Winbeckler has some. Email him and explain what you need and he just may be able to fix you up.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #124 of 155

thanks Tiggy, I need to do that!

katherinem Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #125 of 155

I know what i'm going to get now the aztek 4709 and from harbor freight the Central pneumatic 40 psi compressor but i noticed here that everyone is saying that there is another attachment needed to hook them up both together. If i can buy that at the same time as the others it would be easier - if anyone know what attachment i'm supposed to get if any please let me know.

thank you

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #126 of 155

Never mind.....
with the 40 psi you don't have to buy a separate attachment it is set up to attach to any airbrush out there.

I was about to order the 40 psi which is i believe 69.99 on the harbor freight website plus $9 in shipping. Right before I was about to pay i did a search for the 20% coupon somebody was mentioning but it was only an instore coupon. I took a shot and did a store locator even though i didn't think i would have one anywhere near me. I did! Only 3 miles away!
normally its apparently $79.99 in store but they were having a special for $59.99 plus the 20% off so i ended up getting it for $47.99 and since its the 40psi machine i don't have to buy a separate connector and this one actually has a moisture trap where the 30 psi one does not.

If anyone has a harbor freight near them i would just go instore with a coupon you will save yourself a lot of money.
Thank you again everyone - I am now going to order my aztek

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #127 of 155

Can anyone advise me on this sweet little baby I found on ebay today? http://cgi.ebay.com/CAKE-DECORATING-AIRBRUSH-KIT-Food-Color-Air-Compressor_W0QQitemZ200347823020QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea5a92bac&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30[url] I know it's small but I think I'm quite smitten! icon_smile.gif I have never airbrushed before but I've been asked to do a wedding cake that is mainly airbrushed so I'm looking for something to fit my small budget and this looks like a great deal! Thanks in advance! thumbs_up.gif

~Truly

trulyscrumptious Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #128 of 155

I might should mention that I use ChocoPan and so I'm also looking for tips/opinions on airbrushing on that surface. Is it any different from regular fondant? Oh, and can I mix luster dusts into the Amerimist colors for spraying or is that a no no? icon_confused.gif

~Truly

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #129 of 155

I got my compressor from Harbour freight . ( tool store)and it's an 1/8 hp oilless air compressor. It was less that $65. they also sell bottle and sprayer attatchment to go with it. I got the whole set up for less $100. and it works great.I've never had any trouble with it at all.

trulyscrumptious Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #130 of 155

Thanks for the info, I saw Harbour Freight mentioned earlier in this thread so I did thru to check out things there but they all look so much bigger then I was hoping I would need. What model did you purchase?
~Truly

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #131 of 155

They actually look a lot bigger than they really are - i was expecting in person these big machines but they are actually smaller than what they seem in person - i also got the 1/8 oilless compressor but mine is the 40 psi which already comes ready to attach to any and every airbrush.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #132 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyscrumptious

I might should mention that I use ChocoPan and so I'm also looking for tips/opinions on airbrushing on that surface. Is it any different from regular fondant? Oh, and can I mix luster dusts into the Amerimist colors for spraying or is that a no no? icon_confused.gif

~Truly

Luster dust should only be mixed with alcohol and even then you take a chance of it clogging your brush. You can buy sheen air brush colors in many colors.

trulyscrumptious Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #133 of 155

Thanks for the info katherinescakes - part of the issue for me too is that I have so little space for storage (left) that I would hate to buy something that I have no room for in my kitchen/pantry so I shove it elsewhere and it never get used ya know?
Good to know tiggy2! Now, can I mix those sheen colors with the plain ones? Say- the pearl with one of the greens to get that specific green looking shimmery?

~Truly

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #134 of 155

I just measured the one i just got and it is about 7 1/2 inches long and about 6 3/4 inches high.

trulyscrumptious Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #135 of 155

Wow! that is small! It's just about the same demensions as the lil' elephant one. Arrgg! I don't know what to go with- I feel silly for considering something cutsey when ya'll have bought *real tools* now I've found they are the (aprox) same size. Thanks for going out of your way to measure yours!

~Truly

katherinem Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #136 of 155

not a problem and I just found a new website that I love....
they are the cheapest i have seen for pretty much everything cake and more.... www.fondantsource.com
I emailed the owner directly and he said where it says special order - since they are just starting up they are slowly filling up the inventory but you can contact him and let him know what you are looking for which is what i'll be doing so i can place one large order.
[email protected]

he actually owns several other sites as well...
www.fondantsource.com
www.lusterdust.com
www.kitsforcakes.com
www.jscballoons.com
www.babyshowercandymolds.com

but you can get a 4.5 ounce americolor even colors that other companies usually charge more for like black and red for $1.99 and 9 ounce bottles are 2.99

even their molds for booties, dresses, heels, etc is cheaper than any other store i've seen by around 1.50 or so - every little bit helps!

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #137 of 155

This thread is great!! I think i have decided to get the Aztek 4709, but have a few questions. Any insight is much appreciated?
* Can I use the Aztek 4709A with a porter cable pancake compressor that my husband already owns? If so, do I need an adaptor?
* Do i need to buy a "moisture trap"?
* Does this airbrush have a lot of spray, i.e. will I need to use in the garage?
* Are there any accessories you recommend?
* Can you use the Aztek 4709 with both cocoa paint and edible paint? Where is the best and cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks again!

tiggy2 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #138 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyandmecakes

This thread is great!! I think i have decided to get the Aztek 4709, but have a few questions. Any insight is much appreciated?
* Can I use the Aztek 4709A with a porter cable pancake compressor that my husband already owns? If so, do I need an adaptor?
* Do i need to buy a "moisture trap"?
* Does this airbrush have a lot of spray, i.e. will I need to use in the garage?
* Are there any accessories you recommend?
* Can you use the Aztek 4709 with both cocoa paint and edible paint? Where is the best and cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks again!

I don't know what kind of connector your compressor has so I can't answer that. I would suggest a moisture trap. All airbrushes have over spray so spray inside a box, outside, in the basement or garage. You can also build a paint booth pretty cheap. Earlene has directions on her web site. I purchased several extra cups so I can change colors without wasting. I use the littlest gray cup. I've never used cocoa paint so I can't help with that.

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:57pm
post #139 of 155

Thank you so much!!!!

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #140 of 155

OK, after reading this thread, I think I want the Aztek brush kit with the compressor on the Harbor Freight site:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

Will the Aztek pen fit into this? It says on the Harbor Freight site that the compressor works with all airbrushes. Or do I have to get the adapter that people are talking about?

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #141 of 155

Now I want an Aztec airbrush. Is the compressor from Harbor Freight everyone is talking about an Aztec?

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:19pm
post #142 of 155

I really needed this thread since I'm thining of getting an airbrush machine soon.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm
post #143 of 155

Me too. I have just finished reading all these pages with a slow dial-up (a real commitment here), and need to condense it all into: 1. The Aztek, 2. the compressor, and 3. moisture trap? Without going over it all again, I think the consensus is, I do not need a moisture trap as the Aztek comes with one already. A 40 psi is preferable to a 30 psi, but I need to be able to go as low as 12-18? I do not need separate needles nor do I need an adaptor to connect hose to compressor.
I really don't know too much of what I am talking about and although I have researched several brands, I hesitate to take the expensive plunge without really being sure. Needless to say, I will also be looking for a good book or instructional material to get the most out of this investment. Have I summed it up correctly?
I have wanted an airbrush system for years and here I go.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #144 of 155

I have a really nice airbrush but I've used it in the past for actual paint - but I only used it like twice icon_sad.gif. Is there any way I can make it safe to use for food now that i've already used it for paint?

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #145 of 155

I got mine 2 days ago from harbor freight tools for $39.97 for the compressor only, and $15 for the airbrush...they work great so far...look online for a 20% off coupon

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #146 of 155

Once used with regular paint it CAN'T be used for food.

foxy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxy1 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #147 of 155

I just bought one from Harbor Frieght Tools with the compressor for 80.00.

mike83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mike83 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:37am
post #148 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Once used with regular paint it CAN'T be used for food.

Ok today a friend at work gave me an airbrush and compressor. First of all, the kit is from badger. The compressor is the model 80-2 and the nozzle is the 100 sg with a fine tip. That being said he told me his mom got it for painting nails (hence the fine tip). Now since it has been used for that does that mean I have to just get a new nozzle or do I have to get a new compressor too? It is a shame because the kit sells for close to $300.

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #149 of 155

I got my airbrush and compressor from Harbor Freight. Love It!

ieschia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieschia Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #150 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGx1

I got my airbrush and compressor from Harbor Freight. Love It!

What was the price?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%