Is It Ok To Freeze Cupcakes?

Baking By cupcakeco Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 12:51pm by igurbisz

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 12

Hello all,

I made a batch of cupcakes a few nights ago so that I could "taste-test" a batch of bc that I made. Now, out of 20 cupcakes only about six were decorated and used. It seems such a shame to throw out the rest! So, my question is, can cupcakes be successfully frozen then thawed and eaten? Will it affect the taste/will the wrappers go soggy? I know there is some debate about freezing in general so I am curious. Thanks![/i]

11 replies
zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 12

in general cupcakes can be frozen if wrapped well. I freeze mine unfrosted for the best results.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 12

I freeze mine all the time. I put them in bakery boxes and wrap the box with plastic wrap. When I'm ready to frost them I take them out and unwrap them and leave them in the box (with the lid off) to defrost. After about an hour I frost them. It's the best when you have a lot of cupcakes to make.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:41am
post #4 of 12

I just throw mine in freezer ziploc baggies and then let them thaw on teh counter right in the bag. Haven't had a problem yet! icon_smile.gif

HTH,

Kim

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:59am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgigglin

I just throw mine in freezer ziploc baggies and then let them thaw on teh counter right in the bag. Haven't had a problem yet! icon_smile.gif

HTH,

Kim

Ditto on that one Kim thumbs_up.gif

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 12

i was wondering this as well. I knew it was okay to freeze cakes but wasn't sure about cupcakes.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with everybody. If you wrap them well they will freeze beautifully. icon_biggrin.gif

ganesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ganesha Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 12

I do the baking at a cafe and make cupcakes every week. I always freeze mine---already frosted. And, so far they have defrosted perfectly. I freeze them in containers and defrost them, as they are needed.

The only cupcake I didn't like when it defrosted was one that was covered with ganache. The cupcake was fine, but the ganache discolored a little and had beads of moisture on it after it defrosted. (Not sure how to avoid that.)

icon_biggrin.gif

JGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGal Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 12

Everyone here is so cleaver & creative! My son just proposed!! icon_smile.gif We will host an engagement party mid-Feb. I need to freeze cupcakes to decorate later. I have a few ques:

1) BEST to freeze with wrappers on? Off? (Does it matter?)

2) IF I can freeze with wrappers off, should I apply thin frosting to top and sides?

3) WILL they keep good about one month?

4) Any cupcake mix or flavor that freezes best? (White cake, yellow...?)

THANKS for any help or suggestions!

ganesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ganesha Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 12

I can only give suggestions based on my experience......

I freeze the cupcakes with wrappers on.

Even though other people have commented that they freeze cupcakes without frosting---I always freeze mine already frosted. They come out of the freezer just fine, and do not "suffer" at all from being frozen.

I don't see why you couldn't freeze cupcakes for a month or two, so long as they are well-wrapped or in an air-tight container, so they don't pick up odors or get freezer burn.

In terms of what kind freeze well---I have frozen all kinds of cupcakes and they have all frozen well.

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

JGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGal Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you so very much! I'm going to try to start baking this weekend.

igurbisz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
igurbisz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 12

I was just looking for this info! I plan on having a cupcake buffet at my daughters party where the kids can put there own frosting and toppings

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%