New To Cake Making.......help With Mmf ? Please

Decorating By micnic Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm by micnic

micnic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnic Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 8

I am brand new at cake making. I will be attempting to make a Mickey mouse Clubhouse cake for my son's 3rd birthday. I have a little over a month to experiment. Several of the decorations on the cake need to be made from fondant. I tried making a small batch of marshmallow fondant this weekend and playing with it. It was too sticky and I was unable to shape it. My recipe said to reduce the amount of water if it was too sticky but I only used 1 tbsp. to begin with. Do you have any suggestions or tips on what I should do to correct this? Any help is greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

People on this site swear by MMF, so they are better judges on how to make it work. I have never had luck with it. If you can't get it to work, try toba garrets fondant recipe.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html
That's the link to it. I use vanilla extract instead of what it calls for. I use glycerine, too, even though it says optional. I swear by it and it is the only fondant I use. HTH.

micnic Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 8

Oh, thanks so much! I will give this recipe a try and see if it works better for me.

theathea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theathea Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 8

I love MMF. I use it exclusively because it is easier to transfer to the cake that the store bought kind. It also hold up better in high humidity. I don't really follow the recipe. I just keep adding powdered sugar until it becomes thick. It takes a lot of kneading to get all of the powdered sugar incorporated (without lumps). Play with it a little. I generally use a bag of marshmellows, approx 3 tablespoons of water and a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar.

micnic Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by theathea

I love MMF. I use it exclusively because it is easier to transfer to the cake that the store bought kind. It also hold up better in high humidity. I don't really follow the recipe. I just keep adding powdered sugar until it becomes thick. It takes a lot of kneading to get all of the powdered sugar incorporated (without lumps). Play with it a little. I generally use a bag of marshmellows, approx 3 tablespoons of water and a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar.

Is it a 16 oz bag of marshmallows? I just tried a small batch at first to play with and I did a cup of marshmallows (smashed down and packed in the cup), 1 TBSP water and 2 cups (or maybe 1.5 ??) of confectioners sugar. I'l try it again and keep adding the powdered sugar until it's workable. Thanks!!

theathea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theathea Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, a regular 16 oz bag. I've tried it with mini's but it doesn't come out as smooth. It will not look good when it comes out of the mixer, but after kneading on a greased surface, it starts to look like dough.
Good Luck!!!

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #7 of 8

i too love the mmf recipe from here, its all i use. when making it, i only add about half the ps at first, and then knead more until i get right consistency.

HTH!

micnic Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much ladies! I'm going to try it again this weekend and see what happens. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%